Logo

Testing 73 Evinrude 25 on Stand (Hotwire)

NeilD

Hello, I’ve been fixing up a 73’ 25 hp Evinrude 25302 A E in the garage and away from the electrical connections and key on the boat. Is there a simple guide to hotwiring it for testing purposes? The key and electrical connection apparatus are attached to the boat which is outside. It is cold outside here in Wisconsin this time of year and id prefer not to take all of the wiring off the boat to test the motor in the shop.
it has a six pin electrical connection: power and ground are two larger pins that form the edges of the mouth, there are two eyes that are smaller up above, and a nose in the middle formed by two pins running vertically.
I suspect at least two of them are for the auto choke mechanism which doesn’t look like it’s in great shape and I’m probably planning to bypass, so those can be disregarded and any suggestions how to bypass them are also welcome. Thanks much happy Thanksgiving!

Motor will run on a stand without a battery.-----Make sure water in the test bucket is 6 or 8" above the water pump.

No wiring is required at all. Choke it and pull the rope. Vroom! But you may have trouble shutting it off without the cable connected. I guess I just told the world how to start it up and drive off without the key. Oops. Nah, the crooks already know that.

Thanks Fellas. So is that the case for basically all Evinrude, Johnson, and Mercury motors with controls? I have a 1960 40 HP Evinrude Lark and a 1974 Mercury 402 in the garage as well at the moment. I’d assume I can just put my hand over the air intake to stop them while on the stand, correct?

True with the 1960-40 hp. But don't run alternator-equipped motors without a battery connection, or you may fry the rectifier.

Back