Logo

Taking off flywheel shell on 1989 Tohatsu 25hp M25C2

snookman14

New member
I’m getting no spark, I took a meter to the red and black off the exciter coil which I saw a document saying that it needs 110vac off those leads to activate the CDI unit to give spark, I’m only getting 36vac, so I’m thinking it’s either that exciter coil or the magnets which are inside that shell. I got the flywheel off from around it, now what would be the best way to get that shell off, I tried a harmonic balanced puller with some longer bolts that were the same threads but it wouldn’t come off. Any input would be appreciated if I’m going in the right direction or any suggestions. I’m trying to post a picture with this, Thanks
 
Did you use a DVA meter to read the volts? My parts catalog for the C2 does not show any "shell" inside the flywheel.
 
I just used a regular multimeter on ac voltage to test, I attached a picture the flywheel sits around this and the manual shows a special tool to get this off but I can’t find that tool anywhere. Manual says it’s a flywheel cup.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3581.jpeg
    IMG_3581.jpeg
    402.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3563.png
    IMG_3563.png
    585 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3561.png
    IMG_3561.png
    990 KB · Views: 81
I’ll get some thicker washers for the bolts and try it again, do you need a dmv meter to accurately test the voltage off the exciter coil?
 
You need DVA.
I have the cup off I have a new exciter coil coming in to replace it while I’m in there since it was cheap magnets are pretty dirty can you look at this attached picture it looks like a good part of the magnet is coming up I don’t know if this will mess anything
 
You need DVA.
I have the cup off I have a new exciter coil coming in to replace it while I’m in there since it was cheap magnets are pretty dirty can you look at this attached picture it looks like a good part of the magnet is coming up I don’t know if this will mess anything
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3604.jpeg
    IMG_3604.jpeg
    445.9 KB · Views: 59
Hi I ahave a 1991 25 hp tohatsu I am trying fix, we think the stator is bad but need to take the flywheel off to reach it, how did you get your flywheel off ours will not budge. We put a puller on it, used an impact, tapped the edged, and even doused it in transmission fluid to loosen it. No matter what we do it will not come off, does taking off the fly wheel require that special tool?
 
It has not moved any noticable amount
 

Attachments

  • 20250621_132135.jpg
    20250621_132135.jpg
    823.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 20250621_132141.jpg
    20250621_132141.jpg
    797.5 KB · Views: 64
I have the cup off I have a new exciter coil coming in to replace it while I’m in there since it was cheap magnets are pretty dirty can you look at this attached picture it looks like a good part of the magnet is coming up I don’t know if this will mess anything
Hi how did you get the flywheel off? I feel like I have put a lot of tension on it but it won't budge!
 
I had a 7 ton puller the same way you have it on there and a lot of sea foam deep creep, that stuff really gets in there when parts are stuck. Than I had to use a harmonic balancer puller with some long bolts same thread and some thick washers to actually get that inner flywheel assembly off and again a lot of that seafoam deep creep. The final time I got that inner assembly off I had that balancer puller cranked down a decent bit to keep tension on it for a couple hours will a lot of lubricant sprayed on it and eventually it worked in there and I just popped it right off with my impact
 
I had no spark ended up my cdi ignition coil unit went bad and I wired my own up with a dirt bike cdi unit and a Tohatsu dual ignition coil i now have spark
 
I had no spark ended up my cdi ignition coil unit went bad and I wired my own up with a dirt bike cdi unit and a Tohatsu dual ignition coil i now have spark
We have the same issue with our Tohatsu 25hp. No spark and we believe the issue is the CDI ignition coil. The replacement is $300+, which is crazy. Can you provide us with the list of parts you used for you dirt bike cdi and coil set up? That seems it could be a cheaper work around. Thanks in advance for the help!
 
Back
Top