Logo

Tach for BF60

bluesmoke

Hi, just joined. I have a 2012 bf60 on my 1977 boston whaler sport. The boat and engine came with no tach. I am wondering what it entails to hook up a tach? I would like to know what I am running at. I guess I could add trim and engine hours too. any idea how hard this is to do myself and cost for part plus what a dealer may charge? Is it plug and play or do I have to splice wires etc- if so I am going to have dealer do it..

thanks

It is not exactly plug and play. To make it most easy, you will need a tach/hour meter and trim gauge and the associated wiring harness. You will have to fasten wire eyelets to the various posts on the tach and trim gauge at one end of the harness and plug the banana plugs into the associated plug/connectors at the shifter pig tail (if you have a side mount box with key) or into the key switch wiring harness (if you have a keyswitch and warning light panel in your dash).

Here is a link to the Honda Accessary Catalog. The two brands of gauges shown are Faria and Veethree (formly Teleflex). You just have to choose what color that you would like. FYI...it does not say but the hour meter on the Faria advances with just the key switch in the on position. The motor does not have to be running. The Veethree tach hour meter only advances when the motor is actually running.

http://marine.honda.com/parts/accessories/categories/gauge-sets
[h=5] [/h]As an example, if you choose the Veethree, white face with black bezels, you would order...[h=5]37250-ZW5-010ZB Tach/hr meter, 37260-ZW5-000ZB trim gauge, and 32103-ZW7-000AH wiring harness.[/h]
You could also go with the NEMA 2000 gauges if your serial number is BBFJ-1000050 or higher...... but that will get a little costly and will require different hookups.

Hope that helps.

Mike

If you're OK with non-OEM, you can get a Tinytach for $50 or so, and a low quality clone for $15. Installation is "wrap signal pickup around HT lead & zip-tie."

Back