Logo

Synthetic Oil in b97 25 hp woil injection system

flys4b8

New member
"I have a 1997 25hp Evinrude w

"I have a 1997 25hp Evinrude w/a in-line (gas line) oil injection system. This eliminates mixing gas and oil in the fuel tank.

My question is, can I run synthetic oil (smokeless) in the oil reservior/injection system? If so, is there any harm if the regular oil mixes w/the synthetic while it switches over (assuming I can't get all the old oil completely out of the lines)?

The synthetic would appear to smoke less, although I don't really know what other advantages or disadvantages there are with buring synthetic oil in 2 stroke outboards.

Appreciate the input!
proud.gif
"
 
"Hey there!

Should not pose


"Hey there!

Should not pose a problem by mixing the two to burn thru.

Benefits of synth oil is that it is not hygroscopic like mineral oil. Hence the chances of synth oils drawing moisture is negligible by comparison. Because of this, the oil lines will not be as prone to clogging as it would be with mineral oil.

Hope this helps?

Regards from a chilly and wintery Johannesburg, South Africa!

Benjamin."
 
"Thanks Benjamin. Chilly in J

"Thanks Benjamin. Chilly in Joberg? Not when I was there a few years ago but that was in March. A friend took us a ride on the Vol river...good fun.

I did have the lines clog once, when the oil managed to back up from the oil reservoir into the line coming from the gas tank. This essentially prevented gas from getting to the engine, even though the bulb in the gas line was hard.

Cheers,
Michael"
 
I have one of those 3 cylinder

I have one of those 3 cylinder motors to rebuild( needs 3 new pistons ). The dealer said " take the oil injection unit off and throw is away as far as you can "
 
"The oil injection is simple,

"The oil injection is simple, reliable, and proven. There is no need to remove it unless it is broke! As for the synthetic oil, I use it (XD50). It does indeed smoke less, run better, start easier. In my eyes, that makes up for the slightly higher cost.
Dan"
 
"Thanks....I have thought abou

"Thanks....I have thought about switching over, but just haven't gotten around to doing it. Will need to buy some more oil soon, so I guess it will be synthetic.

Appreciate the input.

PS: other than the one minor issue w/the oil injection system, it has worked great. Much easier than carrying around oil to mix w/the gas everytime you fill the tank
lol.gif
"
 
"Hey there!

Good to hear yo


"Hey there!

Good to hear you were here in our sunny valley, Africa is a good place to be. The weather is generally great, just the winter mornings that get to me! I'm regularly in the Vaal, have plenty family there. Just a pity it's starting to get a little cluttered on the water. We now travel out to lesser frequented waters.

I have a 1997 Mariner 115 AutoLube 2+2. I, as a precautionary, mix 1:100 in my fuel tank. Many people here have had issues with the AutoLubes. So, rather be safe than sorry, I lean toward the safe side. Won't hurt knowing the motor is safer than not. besides, how much does that oil contribute to peace of mind? I've also followed suit with the 2 stroke motor bikes.

A friend of mine has been in the marine engine trade for almost 30 years, he is no fan of the AutoLube system. He's seen failures on brand new motors of all manufacture. So, I'll go with his experiences...

From a windy and wintry Johannesburg,

Regards!

Benjamin."
 
Back
Top