Logo

SX150 OX66 tilt/trim gauge not working

Fords Folly

Hello everyone, I have a 1999 Key West boat with a same year SX150 Salt Water Series II Outboard on the back. The tilt and trim works, on the motor, but the gauge does not work. This boat has the digital multi-information gauges and the trim/tilt shows as little bars on the right side of the gauge............but nothing happens when I trim the outboard. Any idea where I should look....gauge - switch - something on the motor itself? Thanks, Patrick

Hello again,
Wanted to let anyone know, that might be interested, that the problem was the "Trim Sender". It was a plastic unit that was broken and would not stay tight on the tube........I got a "Trim Sender Kit" from the Yamaha Dealer; this one made of metal. Clamped it on the tube so extending part pushed the trim lever arm...........and now the gauge works.
Patrick

Had the same issue on my SX-180. The boat repair shop ordered a couple of new trim tabs (trim senders), but they were plastic also.
Good to know I can get a metal unit next time it breaks.

Had the same issue on my SX-180. The boat repair shop ordered a couple of new trim tabs (trim senders), but they were plastic also.
Good to know I can get a metal unit next time it breaks.
Over bored, here is the OEM Yamaha "kit" number, if you need it..................99999-03830; this kit has the clamp and a longer bolt, but cost about $23 as a kit. Hope this helps! Patrick

Guys, I have that problem on my 1999 2-stroke 150, the gauge just went gaga when raising or lowering the Engine because the little plastic tab that operates the sender was broken and slipping. I ordered the sending unit they sent me the little spring loaded sender and a thing similar to a C clamp with a metal tab on it that I assume operates sender unit shaft. The C clamp device I guess replaces the plastic piece that was broken and slipping on the tilt shaft. Are there any good write ups or you tube procedures for adjusting that thing? I got it kind of close but according to the gauge it is still not displaying the right position of the engine. Is there a procedure in the Yamaha Outboard repair manual to help me? Any help greatly appreciated.

Guys, I have that problem on my 1999 2-stroke 150, the gauge just went gaga when raising or lowering the Engine because the little plastic tab that operates the sender was broken and slipping. I ordered the sending unit they sent me the little spring loaded sender and a thing similar to a C clamp with a metal tab on it that I assume operates sender unit shaft. The C clamp device I guess replaces the plastic piece that was broken and slipping on the tilt shaft. Are there any good write ups or you tube procedures for adjusting that thing? I got it kind of close but according to the gauge it is still not displaying the right position of the engine. Is there a procedure in the Yamaha Outboard repair manual to help me? Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi,
As I remember I just installed the sending unit but did not tighten-then lowered the motor and moved the 'tab' up about 0.005 off of its finger and tighten the unit. You might need to make a little adjustments to get the gauge to show what you want.
Hope this helps.

Back