Logo

Swapping out Steering Arm Assemblies Johnson 100 to a Evinrude 90. Can it be done?

Hello,
My current Steering Arm (1989 Johnson 100) is rusting badly right above the swivel bracket where there are 2 bolts on either side.
Every year I get flakes of rust falling off (for the past several years). Been adding OSPHO to stop the rust and other rust inhibitors...but rust keeps coming back.

I know a gentleman who has a bunch of spare outboard parts. All the ones that were shaped like mine (or Johnson) were made of steel.
I found a 1996 Evinrude Steering arm assembly made to what appears to be stainless steel (I could be mistaken and made of Aluminum...).
The model number of the Evinrude is: E90SLEDR
And the retired mechanic said it would work with some slight modifications, like grinding off the rear most tabs.
Both Swivel brackets from my Johnson J100STLCEM and the Evinrude E90SLEDR are of the same length (from top hole and bottom hole for the steering arm.
Also, a lot of the parts seem to have the same o.e. part number (some differences though).
I really like the Evinrude Steering Arm assembly b/c I believe it will hold up much better than my oem Johnson one.

Wondering if anyone has done this or can give me some insight if it can be done, etc... Can it be done?

Some pics:
My rusting Johnson Steering arm assembly:
CurrentSteeringArmAssbly_zps7ec8dcb2.jpg

The very nice Evinrude steering arm assembly:
EvinrudeReplacementSteerArmAssmbly_zpsac3af712.jpg

Diagram for the Johnson Steer Assembly(midsection)
J100STLCEMSwiv_zps6a562271.png

Diagram for the Evinrude Steer Assembly(midsection)
E90SLEDRSwiv_zpsb50dfcc2.png

t

Frankly, I don't know if it could be done or not... however due to the difference in design, it looks to me that the one you're thinking of using as a replacement would be jammed up against the hood pan.

Back