Logo

Swapping 318 botor and trans in vee drive

loid58

Contributing Member
"Help. I just acquired a 1972

"Help. I just acquired a 1972 luhrs with a 318 motor. The boat was actually free from my neighbor. While working on it , I found out the motor was hydro locked, probably from the salt water cooling system rotting out the heads. I lucked out and got another 318, from a 1973 luhrs with twin 318's complete with the trans and vee drive all in one unit. The motor runs great. I bench ran it and it hums real nice, and it is the correct rotation. My problem is I cant disconnect the mounting bolts from the coupling where it meets the shaft of the old vee drive in the boat. The bolts are rotted, and they get rounded when I tried to loosen them. I also can't turn the shaft to reach all of the bolts. I also noticed the coupling on the 73 trans looks different than the one in the boat. Maybe its me, or I just cant see too well under there. My questions are. Is there any way of getting those bolts off the coupling? Also will the 1973 motor and trans bolt up to the shaft in the 1972 luhrs? and finally if I cant get the coupling bolts out, would I be able to leave the existing trans in and just use the 1973 motor, The trans and vee drive in there are sound. I really dont know marine engines, I know about cars.Any help would be really appreaciated. Oh, P.S the new motor is fresh water cooled, but I dont think it would be a problem hooking the cooling hoses from the new motor to the old trans. Thanks"

"I would use a torch to heat e

"I would use a torch to heat each bolt and then try to crack them lose, of course make sure thier are no gas fumes in bilge area. If the transmission in the boat you plan to use is good, you can disconnect the engine and trans at the bell housing and pull engine only. You will at least have more room to separate the shaft coupling.

Good luck"

"Thanks, I think I'll use

"Thanks, I think I'll use the old trans, There;s no way I'm gonna get it out without smoe major torching and cutting. I just want to go the easiest way, and if I get a couple of years out of it I'll be happy. After all it was free."

"I would also replace the damp

"I would also replace the damper plate with a new one while thier apart. Not that expensive three bolts to remove and match it up to the new one.

I had to cut the tabs down and grind smooth to fit the fly wheel, or they would of hit the stater gear."

"Thanks for the advice, would

"Thanks for the advice, would never thought of that one, will definitely do that,"

Back