Logo

Suzuki DT85 1988 transmission oil seal orientation

JohnSuzu

New member
I am changing the new oil seals for drive shaft and propeller shaft.
What is the correct orientation for both places?

There are two oil seals under the water pump. I have seen the couple of different instructions...
Install both back to back(flat side side-by-side) or both seals spring side towards water pump or something else?

There are two oil seals for propeller shaft. Same story there what is the correct orientation there?

Thanks!
 
Back to back on both the propshaft and the driveshaft.Inside seals keep the gear lube in,outside seals keep the water out.
 
Thanks! Are you using the same rule for all motor brands? Unfortunately for example the boats.net exploded view is not showing details about seal orientation.
 
I am changing the new oil seals for drive shaft and propeller shaft.
What is the correct orientation for both places?

There are two oil seals under the water pump. I have seen the couple of different instructions...
Install both back to back(flat side side-by-side) or both seals spring side towards water pump or something else?

There are two oil seals for propeller shaft. Same story there what is the correct orientation there?

Thanks!
not meant to hijack your thread. I'm doing the task, do you have the part number for the driveshaft oil seal? couldn't find it on the parts diagram. thanks.
 
checking to see if anyone is still active with this thread. I have 2 '88 DT85s, both running, both in need of certain parts that are more than difficult to shag down. Most everything seems to be discontinued. Any hot tips or heads up would be greatly appreciated.
 
Go to boats.net, select the part you’re looking for, scroll down until you come across the section labeled “Diagrams”, there you’ll find a list of Suzuki engines that share the same parts.

What this gives you is a list of suitable donor engine for the specific part your looking for.

Forum members here have been using Yumbo-jp.com for hard to find Honda parts. I just checked for a DT85 1988 top carb on boats.net Unavailable, on Yumbo’s website it’s available for $296.58US$. Keep in mind that Suzuki still makes 2 stroke engines, just not available in the North American market.
 
Back
Top