Logo

Stopped running no spark

ngimpel

1973 Johnson 115 HP. Engine was running great. Today started engine it was warming up for about 10 min. Then it shut off now it will not start. Looks like no spark. Checked for spark, none. Where do I start? I'm thinking maybe a stator. Will not fire on starting fluid. I would appreciate any feedback.

Last edited:
Remove spark plugs. Check to see if the spark will jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Does it?

If no spark, remove the black/yellow wire from either the powerpack or the ignition switch, which ever is easiest to get at. If you now have spark, replace the ignition switch.... If still no spark, the usual cause is a failed powerpack.

You can use a medium size philips screwdriver (#2 I believe) inserted into the spark plug boot spring connector, then hold the screwdriver shank approximately 7/16" away from the block to check the spark or build the following:

A spark tester can be made with a piece of 1x4 or 1x6, drive a few finishing nails through it, then bend the pointed ends at a right angle. You can then adjust the gap by simply twisting the nail(s). Solder a spark plug wire to one which you can connect to the spark plug boots, and a ground wire of some kind to the other to connect to the powerhead somewhere. Use small alligator clips on the other end of the wires to connect to ground and to the spark plug connector that exists inside of the rubber plug boot.

Using the above, one could easily build a spark tester whereas they could connect 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders all at one time. The ground nail being straight up, the others being bent, aimed at the ground nail. A typical 4 cylinder tester follows:

..........X1..........X2

.................X..(grd)

..........X3..........X4

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Thank You for the reply Boobie. I was on their website today and downloaded some info. I have to get the boat out of the water this week then I can work on it.

Started to work on the engine today. Looking for a reason it would not start and had no spark. The boat has been sitting a few weeks so the first thing I did was to charge the battery. While the battery was charging I disconnected the rectifier and tested that. All readings tested good. I reinstalled the rectifier. Checked and found spark in all cylinders, reinstalled plugs after cleaning them and the engine started with no problems. Checked battery while engine was running and it is charging well. Just wanted to thank everyone for their help. joereeves and Boobie thank you very much for the help.

I was thinking the same thing. But had it running a couple days before for about 20min. a little above idle. The day it failed it was cranking very well. I'm going to keep it on the trailer for now and go over it before I put it away for the season. Thank You for your help.

Back