Logo

Sticking jets in new rebuild of carb

Les the mess

New member
I have a 1980 140 HP Mercury Outboard I did rebuild kits on the three carbs but the jets are sticking a tap will unstick them. I cleaned everything with choke cleaner prior to the rebuild. Any solutions????
Thanks in Advance,
Les
 
Please be clear in your communication ! --------Jets do not stick !-----Perhaps you are talikig about float valves ?------Are carburetors leaking when you squeeze the manual fuel pump ??
 
Sorry that's why I'm here looking for help!!
It is the inlet needles according to diagram maybe also called the float valve not sure.
Any way they are sticking and will not fall back down with gravity it takes a tap.
Thanks for your help once again,
Les
 
I did replace them with a complete rebuild kit its the new needle valves that are sticking.
Thanks for your imput.
Also how do I know the height to adjust the float? I have read in some of the posts the float needs adjusted?
.
 
I did replace them with a complete rebuild kit
Were they Mercury kits or Sorrierra? If the latter you wasted your money.
Also how do I know the height to adjust the float?
Specs. for the float height in the manual or search youtube for Mercury OB carb rebuild.
 
Ok Thanks for the help Guys. I have the floats adjusted and the reason the needles were sticking was my friend who helped rebuild the carbs didnt replace the brass ring under the seat. We have the carbs sounding good and took it out to try on the lake. Under load we are not getting full throttle it bogs. Ran it in a barrel and it rung strong full throttle. Any suggestions? The carb kits do not replace the main jet and the repair manuel said the main jet is not adjustable.
 
Back
Top