Logo

Steering helmet/clamping ring connection issues

am_dew

Advanced Contributor
I have a 270 outdrive (circa 1972) on my boat with an AQ130C engine. I had just launched and was slowly motoring away from the ramp and noticed that my steering did not feel normal. I raised the outdrive and found that the steering helmet was not attached to the clamping ring (the part that the aft end of the dive bellows attaches to) . So, I had no choice but to slowly go back to the ramp and unlaunch. Here are some close-up pics I took of the steering helmet connection point in the clamping ring. I'm not sure what it is supposed to look like when there is nothing attached, so I'm not sure if what used to be there broke and some of it is still left in there or if this is what it looks like normally. Can anyone tell me?

Also, in looking at the online schematics, I am not sure what part(s) would normally attach the helmet to the clamping ring. I did have this disassembled earlier this year to service the u-joint but do not recall what part(s) were there...it seems though that it was just one screw with a hex head.

Side view:
01.jpg

Views from straight on while drive is tilted 2/3 way down:
02.jpg

03.jpg

EDIT: I found a pic which shows the top of the helmet/clamping ring connection. So at least I know what the top side of the connector looks like.
helmet_connector.jpg

Last edited:
Most likely your collar steering fork spindle arm "Pinch Bolt" has loosened, the fork dropped down, and the helmet wore against the bearing box clamping collar.
You'll need to raise the fork up, correct the pinch bolt and replace this collar..... and likely the helmet.

A new O-ring, and re-shimming is required for the BB Clamping Collar replacement.

If this is not the cause, then look at the main suspension fork hinge pin bushings. Doubtful, but take a look!

Last edited:
Thanks Rick...what kind of $$ for parts do you think I'm looking at? Do you have them by chance for sale?

Most likely your collar steering fork spindle arm "Pinch Bolt" has loosened, the fork dropped down, and the helmet wore against the bearing box clamping collar.
You'll need to raise the fork up, correct the pinch bolt and replace this collar..... and likely the helmet.

A new O-ring, and re-shimming is required for the BB Clamping Collar replacement.

If this is not the cause, then look at the main suspension fork hinge pin bushings. Doubtful, but take a look!

Here is what the drive looked like earlier this year, just before removing the upper gear case. The boat is now in storage so I can't look, but earlier today it seemed the fork was n the same position as it is in this pic. BTW, I found no connection hardware when first noticed this, just saw that the helmet and clamping collar were not joined. Is it possible that whatever hardware that connects the helmet to the clamping collar just failed and that some of it is still in the threads of the clamping collar?

outdrive.jpg

Last edited:
Are you suggesting that you do not have the helmet pin?????

Normally I do not sell the clamping collars due to shop use.
Look on e-Bay from time to time..... you'll need a single helmet pin clamping collar.

The tricky part is in knowing the little ins/outs of shim control, and the sealing of the four cap screws and the collar.
This is a wet area regarding the bolts.
If not careful, water may wick up the bolt shanks and enter the bellows area..... eventually causing other damage.

Shoot me a PM with your email address and we can exchange phone numbers if you'd like to.

Are you suggesting that you do not have the helmet pin?????

Normally I do not sell the clamping collars due to shop use.
Look on e-Bay from time to time..... you'll need a single helmet pin clamping collar.

The tricky part is in knowing the little ins/outs of shim control, and the sealing of the four cap screws and the collar.
This is a wet area regarding the bolts.
If not careful, water may wick up the bolt shanks and enter the bellows area..... eventually causing other damage.

Shoot me a PM with your email address and we can exchange phone numbers if you'd like to.

Yep, the helmet pin was gone when I raised the outdrive after I noticed the steering was not right. It now lies somewhere on the bottom of the Sacramento River. :)

Here is a crop from the picture taken earlier this year showing "hole" in the clamping ring (slightly obscured by the drive bellows clamp)...it's hard to tell but it does not look that different than the way it looked this afternoon (see pics in my first post in this thread). So, now I am wondering if that helmet pin simply loosened up for some reason and eventually worked it's way out of the threads? And then maybe it's just a simple matter of ordering and installing a new helmet pin?

Helmet_hole_2011-07.jpg

This is a pic of a helmet I found on MarineEngine.com that reminded me as best I can recall of what my pin looked like so at least I know what the pin looked like before it found it's way out of the clamping ring and helmet and into the great beyond.
151398.jpg

There are about three or four styles of single screw helmet pins....... which means that we'll see a change in thread diameter and shank length, etc.
The one shown in your image is the larger thread.
You need the small thread diameter, and likely the short length.

Here is a small thread diameter pin/screw.

images

Last edited:
There are about three or four styles of single screw helmet pins....... which means that we'll see a change in thread diameter and shank length, etc.
The one shown in your image is the larger thread.
You need the small thread diameter, and likely the short length.

Here is a small thread diameter pin/screw.

images

Do you by chance know the part number of the small thread diameter screw/pin? Or maybe you have one you could sell me?

Another thing I was wondering about is that I noticed there are threads in the bottom portion of the hole in top/center the steering helmet (the one the helmet pin goes into). What are those threads for?

Last edited:
Am Dew, if the helmet pin/screw bushing threads are exposed, you'd likely lost the threaded chrome plated bronze bushing.
Once these are gone or loose, the threads usually become corroded beyond use.
Best replace both the helmet and small thread pin..... but this will depend on which clamping collar that you re-install.

Take a look at this thread that I put together........ you'll find many helpful links for working on the AQ series drives.
Like mentioned, this collar replacement is tricky regarding the sealing of the four fasteners and threads.

When you search e-Bay for a clamping collar........, try to vary your key words..... not everyone calls these parts by the correct name.
Clamping Collar, clamping ring, gear housing, bearing housing, front housing, diddly-wink, etc.

I just looked..... nothing there today!

Give Lightendog a try....... he always has AQ series Volvo Penta parts listed.

I can also provide these, but would want to know which collar you wish to go with so we end up with compatable parts.

FYI; when I take a core in return for an over-hauled transmission, often the collars have not survived.
This is an important part and is why these demand some good money.
New....... these are approximately $380+ from Volvo Penta.

Thanks. Yes, I now recall there being a bushing in the helmet earlier this year when the upper gear case was removed. So, the bushing that goes into the steering helmet has only been gone since yesterday so unless I find the threads are stripped or broken for some reason, I don't believe I need to replace the helmet. The threads looked good yesterday...no corrosion at all. I am going to start small on this and try and find a replacement helmet pin and bushing and go from there.

Last edited:
Yes, very important that we remain apples to apples here.

The AQ130C was available with either the 250 or 270 drive.
According to your PZNR #, you have the 270 (if that is your transmission in the picture above)!

This pin is out of production... and the two bolt pin will not work with the 270 clamping collar.

Here is a link to MPE.com...... the AQ 130C section.
I like their site.... although I do not order from them in Europe.

Also try our own MarineEngine.com and see if they have this pin.

If not, I do have these pins and helmets if interested.

If you need a clamping collar installed, people often ship these to me for this very type of service work!
$16 or so in a USPS 2-3 day flat rate box.

NOTE: There are no thread inserts in the helmet for the pivot pins.... these are aluminum threads ONLY!
Use heat at this area when removing these, or they may become damaged!
Do NOT forget the jam nuts at the interior side!

Also, be sure to check the pinch bolt at the spindle arm.
If the fork dropped, raise it back into position before tightening this pinch bolt.
Six point socket wrench ONLY!

Last edited:
This pic is of my transmission tag (note: I rotated and mirrored the pic above to make it easier to read)

helmet_connector.jpg

Off to work...more later.

Bob, I cannot post a photo in the return PM to you.
Here's a break-down of the Universal Drive Shaft.

This is a newer style that uses the external bearing cap clips......... but for the purpose of explantion, it's basically the same.
You will not be able to see the splined section of the male yoke, as this engages into the main drive gear.

Volvo_Penta_universal_joint.jpg

Back