Logo

Starting voltage 115 merc

sullybe

Contributing Member
"My battery reads 12.2 volts,

"My battery reads 12.2 volts, so do the red and white wires on the switch box. When I crank the motor the white and red wires on the switch box go down to 9 volts or a little under. The trigger brown wire is going down to about 8 volts. Can this prevent the motor from starting? It is just a little lower than the specs in the Seloc book.

Dan"

Yes it can. At 12.2 volts that

Yes it can. At 12.2 volts that battery is 40% depleted. Keep in mind that the motor has to turn at least 300 RPM to start. Why don't you charge it?

I did charge it and after the

I did charge it and after the first try starting the motor it went done to 12.2 and dosen't come up any further than that. I will get a new battery and try that. What do you think the minimum cranking amp should be on the new battery?
Thanks Dan

Why is there battery voltage g

Why is there battery voltage going into the ign. system in the first place? That will prevent it from starting and damage a lot of componants.

I don't understand the que

I don't understand the question. I have 12.2 volts going to the switch box and distributer trigger when I turn the key on. When I go to start it it drops to 8-9 volts.

On this model the starter pull

On this model the starter pulls 150 amps. Merc calls for a minimum of 450 MCA (350 CCA).

On that particular motor I would be looking quite a bit more than that - at least a 650 and 1000 would not be out of line...

The motor is a battery driven

The motor is a battery driven cd ignition system this is why he has voltage at the pack etc

Agree with Graham go for a min of 650cca in a marine battery

I replaced the battery with a

I replaced the battery with a deep cell with 700 cca and still no spark. I have 10+ volts going to the red and white on the switch box and the same going to the distributer trigger while the engine is cranking. So I am looking at the trigger and switch box. I do not have a dva for my multi meter.Is there any other way to prove one of these bad.

Thanks Dan

Back