Logo

Starting problem

Shesho

Hey Johnson Forum,

Last week I took my boat out to the lake and successfully launched the boat. Got the motor up and running just fine. After finding a good spot to shut the motor off and post up for some beer and good music, I noticed we were drifting a little too close to the shore so I decided to start the motor up and again but this time I couldn't get it started. The steps I take to start the motor are as follows;

1. Insert the key, push down and turn it right (choke)
2. Press the button on the throttle to activate neutral and push the throttle forward to give it gas.

( Here the motor would typically start right up but in this case you would just here the choke noise)

3. Went to press the fuel bulb a couple of times, choked it again and nothing.

My motor is a 1997 Johnson OceanRunner 2-stroke.

After not being able to successfully start the motor, I took the cover off the motor and noticed that the throttle (arm, linkage, pole?) was not moving. I will attach/display a picture with what I am talking about (I circled it on the picture). While pushing down on the key and turning it to the right to choke, my buddy had to lightly push the throttle arm to get the motor to start. Can anyone point me into the right direction on what can possibly be wrong with why my motor isn't starting? I am currently using a Johnson/Evinrude Outboard 1992-01 Seloc repair manual and any information would be great.

Thanks!

-Shesho

Engine.jpg

Back