Logo

starter motor 175hp mariner

johno77

HI
I started boat up before i went out today as normal it started up on the second turn

Got out to lake launched boat.Tried starting and it woudnt even wind over.
Turned key and would here a click up near motor and than at times not even a click.

Hooked jumper leads up to car no diffrent.
hooked leads up to starter motor nothing.

Gave starter motor a tap a few times.Turned key gear would spin but wouldnt pop up and engage.

Turned key at other times and would here a click and that was it.

Could this be a starter motor proberlem?If so are they hard to pull apart?Are parts hard to get?
I have looked on ebay and usa has starter motors but postage costs alot and than could have hidden costs when they come into australia import tax etc.

Any sugestions?

Could it be a relay?

I checked fuses all good.

You are not supposed to hit these starters , damage to the permanent magnets may result .--------------2 bolts to take them apart and brushes are easy to inspect / replace .----------Armature can be inspected with an ohmeter.----------I get these brushes from a starter / alternator place at $5.00 a set.

Isn't there an alternator/starter repair shop nearby in OZ? Take the starter to them; let the pro do the job unless you are electro-mechanically inclined.

Thanks for the replies.
I pulled the starter apart.And it doesnt look good in there the brush housing is sheared and were the brushes sit is broken.
Heaps of grey powder came out.I guess thats a mixture of the magnet and one of the brushes being crushed to powder.
I would prefer to get a new starter.The rest of it doesnt look to good either.
Prices in australia $455 and $510
Ebay $149 includes freight but not import taxes so im not sure how much they are.
Iboats.com $238 and im not sure if that includes import tax.
And a second hand one in aus $165

The starter motor number is 50-79472. and the serial number on the boat engine is OC221001.
Im not shaw what year model that is.

Any help is much appreciated.

Get the "second hand" Mercury starter locally and install a set of brushes if needed. Some of the aftermarket starters are cheap but lack endurance due to poor quality.

Thanks for the replies.I have gone with the second hand one.And if need be will get new brushes.
The mechanic said he checks them before he sells them and if it isnt any good send it back and they would fix it.
So it should come tommore.

Thanks racerone and guyjg for your advice and help.

Back