Logo

Starter Boat Four Winns Horizon Volvo Penta 30 4cyl reliable

dsaul

New member
"Hello,

I am looking at a 1


"Hello,

I am looking at a 1998 Four Winns Horizon xq 17ft. It is being offered at $3500 in as is condition. Cosmetically looks good but hasnt been started in over a year. I am wondering about the reliability of the engine and motor. Is the Volvo Penta Reliable? I hear that this boat has had a problem with the starter and ignition coils...This is my first boat and am very new to the boating world. Any advice on this boat or what to look for on a starter boat is would be greatly appreciated!"
 
I just wanted to update...
Th


I just wanted to update...
The seller says it squeals when you turn the engine. Said it should be fixed by replacing the water pump... Not sure if it has overheated in the past.
 
"What type of power does it ha

"What type of power does it have? i.e., type of engine, cylinders, year, outdrive, etc..."
 
Its a 98 volvo penta 3.0 - 4 c

Its a 98 volvo penta 3.0 - 4 cyl about 115 hp. Has a Cobra Sx outdrive...not sure about the hours
 
"David, the 3.0 1998 vintage

"David, the 3.0 1998 vintage is actually a 3 liter (181 cu in) Chevy marine engine. The GL model is rated for 135 HP and the GS for 150. Not much wrong with those engines as far as I know.

Does the boat come with a Cobra converted to an SX

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/SX_Cobra.pdf

or with an actual SX outdrive? Not much wrong with the SX, but regarding the Cobras you may want to read this.

http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/

Hope this helps."
 
Back
Top