Logo

Stainless steel bolts in the powerhead

D

D. Hall

Guest
I need to replace the exhaust

I need to replace the exhaust cover plate that sits between the cylinder heads of my 1980 Evinrude 115. Is it OK to use new stainless steel bolts from a hardware store or do they need some kind of special coating? Should I use marine grease or some other sealer on the threads?
 
" D.Hall,

I was hop


" D.Hall,

I was hoping that someone who was really a pro would answer this post first, but I would recommend using a high quality stainless.. there are a few grades, go to your local dealer or marine shop for them. Hardware stores carry only the cheapest stainless. As for the threads, I would recommend thread sealant, such as the loctite high temp stuff. It is a white paste, looks like the teflon stuff used for pipe threads; prevents corrosion because it seals/coats and is resistant to heat and fuel. Used it on the crankcase bolts on my merc 115, so far so good. My .02,

Jon "
 
Back
Top