Logo

Spun bearing?

Brownie289

Contributing Member
The boat I am looking at had the port engine replaced because of a "spun bearing" what would cause that? More importantly the starboard engine is
original what should we look for there?
!986 Crusader 454 about 850 hours.
Thanks

bearing will spin for many reasons...several are linkable to less than ideal maintenance.

realistically, the engine's top end has to be at end of life (30+ years) and the bottom end may not be far behind. Unless the boat is low priced, look into hiring a surveyor and get their recommendation for an engine surveyor - in the long run, it will be good money spent.

bearing will spin for many reasons...several are linkable to less than ideal maintenance.

realistically, the engine's top end has to be at end of life (30+ years) and the bottom end may not be far behind. Unless the boat is low priced, look into hiring a surveyor and get their recommendation for an engine surveyor - in the long run, it will be good money spent.

Ok thanks, yes the boat is being surveyed.
A separate engine survey sounds like it is in order.
Db

I'd be a bit surprised if the surveyor didn't recommend somebody assess the engine....usually it two separate individuals.....as in the other post, the oil analysis and compression test would be a minimum....a leakdown test would be even better.....talk to the engine surveyor and share your concerns...ask how they'd approach it....if you like the answers, then proceed - if you don't, get another one...you're paying and if you don't have a good feeling at the start, it wont get better with time...

Going through a problem because I did not have an engine survey .. not good and not happy. Looking like my 427 will need to be rebuilt.

Back