Logo

Spring startup

Quicksilver

Advanced Contributor
I've put down most of my startup methods to share them with fellow owner/operators. It's a jpeg so you can download and save it, if anybody wants to add anything this is a starting point. start-proceedure.jpg for 2 strokes.

Excellent information, thanks. I might add to visually inspect all fuel and oil injector lines, that may have cracks that will cause failure during your first few outings. Stung me.....inj. line from tank to pump on my 115 Merc. Burned up motor running in the dark. Another suggestion don't do your first run of the season in the dark. My bad............no my stupid.

Last edited:
Minor point: I always drain/ check/ refill the lower units at the end of the season, in case water got it. And if it did, I rebuild the thing over the winter.

Jeff

Yes, Sir Jeff, this is a MUST DO! If your prop is bad it's a good time to repair it or order a new one too. We need an "end of season checklist....just as important".

Good add ons, I remove my LU in the fall to prevent theft, I bring it home check the lube remove the waterpump top (to let the impeller "breathe") and I lube the driveshaft splines when installing it in the spring.

Back