Logo

Spitfire electronic ignition 4.3 V6

davidlyne

Hi, Hoping someone can help. I think my ignition system is playing up. Some times the boat runs fine then the next outing it blows lots of brown smoke and strong fumes hard to start and runs really rough and won't idle. Had carby rebuilt new leads new spark plugs. I remember I had a car many years ago that did a similar thing and it was the coil. Question is, can I still get parts for this ignition or what else can I do? Do you think it may be something else?

regards David

you have the dreaded OMC Spitfire Ignition.
Replacement ignition components for this system are obsolete. Your only reasonable option is to remove the Spitfire system and install a new Electronic Ignition Distributor, High Energy Coil and a premium grade set of Spark Plug Wires.

Look around prices vary greatly for the same componets.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. Is this an easy fix or something better carried out by professionals. I don't think my engine has a distributor, will there be a place to mount one? What do you think it should cost? regards David

Here is a link to a 1990 4.3 wiring diagram, pretty sure they only used the Spitfire ignition on the 4.3's in 90 and 91, if you can provide the engine model # off the rocker cover we can determine the correct year. Are you sure it's brown smoke and not black? Is it possible your choke is not working right and sticking on? The hard to start, rough running and poor idle could even be your ESA module is activated, you can easily disconnect it at the 4 pin plug and see if it makes a difference next time it does this.

http://www.selocmarine.com/content/manuals/3404/pdf/340410w157.pdf

Last edited:
That was the point i was making no dist. What your going to do if you take my advice is install a hei dist. coil that goes with it.

That is a dummy dist only there to turn the oil pump.

You asked if you can do it why not, it's actually easy .

Maybe it was black smoke. I asked my wife and she thought it was black. It certainly had a strong fuel smell to it. Choke was not on I checked that. Fuel was flowing into the carby. I now understand it is a 91 model. I will disconnect the ESA as suggested and if all else fails I will do as Chiefalen says and go down HEI avenue. I will let you know how it goes.

Hello again, I disconnected the ESA as suggested. It seemed to run a little better but not much. Still wouldn't run under 1300RPM. It would just stall. It was running above 1300RPM but very rough. It was blowing Blue / black smoke. Am I back to replacing the ignition system or do you think it is something else?
David

Carb. could be clogged up but you posted it was rebuilt. Try running it on a external tank of gas after first rebuilding the carb again then make sure the filter in the fitting that enters the carb is clean.

Post the result and we can go from there i and others here will walk you thru the next steps.

Thanks for the replies. Someone I was talking to today mentioned water in the fuel also. The fuel is not that old, we don't store our boats here as our weather allows us to go boating all year round. In fact winter is the nicest time on the water here. The external tank of fuel sounds like it is worth a try. Fuel filter was replaced this year and there is no water in the filter. I employed a mechanic to rebuild the carb, so I can only assume it was done. I will check the filters etc. I will let you know what happens next! David

Not running under 1300 is classic carb problem the idle circuit is clogged up.

You ever pull the fuel pickup tube in the tank there is a anti-syphin valve that enters the tank. The tube is connected to that unscrew it from the tank and there should be a screen on the bottom of the tube.

Blow thru the valve it working ok it's a " one way " valve lets fuel go one way only.

Vent is clear no little critters or roos living in the vent. ( kidding about the roos )

Read the plugs heres a link to help.

Spark Plugs

Try everything before you buy new hei and coil ain't cheap in american money in your money who knows and shipping ?

most common cause of rough running after "new leads":

wrong firing order

2nd most common:

timing , i.e. all wires off by 1 hole.

One thing I don't see suggested here: cleaning the flame arrester atop the carb - how's it look?

after that stuff, I'd be looking for vacuum leaks - rebuilt carb often leads to wrong base gasket being used. = vacuum leaks, unable to idle.

Last edited:
Well it is the ignition after all that. Thanks for the info on ebay boatin_bob, I purchased that item today. Hopefully when it arrives it is the right one and it works. Very helpful seller and the numbers match and it is off the same model engine. I will keep you posted on how it all goes.

I got a marine mechanical workshop to check it out for me. They determined what the problem was, I didn't give them any info except that it wasn't running right. I thought the whole thing was getting a bit beyond me to tackle it myself. I guess I will find out shortly if the diagnosis is correct. At least I have only shelled out $140 including postage if it is not the problem. regards David

Hi All, Thanks for all the advice. I received the new (used) ignition pack from ebay and she fired up and idled just fine. BUT, now it has water in the oil, carby still overfuelling. I have spent a small fortune on this thing over the last 2 years. Carby rebuilt 12 months ago, top end rebuild 6 months ago, drive completely rebuilt 2 years ago. I am out of patience and money for this OMC. I am now getting it removed completely, getting a pod built on the back and putting a 225HP Optimax on there. I will be selling the OMC stuff either complete or breaking it down. The drive is excellent, the engine is tired. Thanks again for all you help. David

Sorry to hear that David especially after all your ignition problems but I guess you have learned the true meaning of BOAT "Break Out Another Thousand" :)
Whichever way you go....best of luck!

Thanks guys for all your help. I guess I will be visiting the Mercury Outboard forum from now on. I hope without problems though. I will list all my old OMC stuff on ebay and see what happens, I would like to recoup some of what I spent. Had new Manifolds and risers too only 4 months ago. If you know anyone that needs some stuff let me know. I hope it is OK to say that on here, if not, my apologies. I will let you all know how it goes with the outboard in a couple of weeks when it is all finished. I will try and post a pic on here. regards David

update for all who answered my question. The boat has been finished now for about 3 weeks. Had the all the old OMC stuff pulled out, gained a whole lot more room inside the boat. Had a new duckboard built incorporating an outboard pod. To that I mounted a 200HP Yamaha outboard. What a difference. The power, better handling and better fuel economy. BEST OFALL NO MORE OMC.

Back