Logo

speedometer connector broken at drive

vanceboroguy

Contributing Member
I need to know how to replace speedometer connector at drive of 2010 sea ray sport 4.3 with alpha 1 drive. The male part broke off in plastic hose. Need to know haw to remove what is left in outdrive. I believe part is 614382. Can't tell from drawing how it attaches to drive, Anybody know? Thanks

By drop you mean lower tilt? The boat is still under warrany but I don't know yet if it is covered. Just wondering haow to remove this piece. Thanks

If it is still under warranty I will assume it is a Gen2 Alpha 1 drive. The piece in the lower unit is plastic. You turn it and it on locks and pulls out. You do not need to remove the lower unit to access this, you need to trim the drive all the way up.

From your description it sounds more like the bushing assembly for the shift shaft / speedometer fitting number 35 in the first link below is broken, If so then yes the lower gear unit housing of the sterndrive will need to be separated from the upper drive shaft housing.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=809759%2098&ivar=images/COMMON/5069.png&inbr=2686&bnbr=140&bdesc=GEAR+HOUSING%28DRIVESHAFT%29%28STANDARD+ROTATION%29

Now on the back side of the bell housing there is a coupling assembly for the Speedometer that should just clip/lock onto the speedometer fitting that is mounted to the lower gear housing and sticking up through the upper drive shaft housing.

Normally on the newer alpha drives removing the coupling assembly from the speedometer fitting on the lower housing, you would push in on a button on the coupling to unlock the coupling and pull up. See number 24 in the link below.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...426.png&inbr=2686&bnbr=100&bdesc=BELL+HOUSING

If your under warranty that should be good for you, Because the only thing you know is the speedometer has not worked from day one correct???;):cool::D:)

If the lower unit speedometer fitting number 35 turns out to be broken then you may be getting a free oil change in the sterndrive now.:cool:

But if the speedometer coupling assembly turns out to be broken then that is an easy fix and the lower housing does not need to come down.

The speedometer coupling assembly should attach to the 1/4 inch rubber hose behind the bellhousing assembly.

Last edited:
It is broken where small hose fits, hose has wire tie still hooked to it, I assume there is a small male barbed end broken off inside hose? excuse me for my lack of knowledge , it is my first inboard stern drive. Thanks

It is broken where small hose fits, hose has wire tie still hooked to it, I assume there is a small male barbed end broken off inside hose? excuse me for my lack of knowledge , it is my first inboard stern drive. Thanks
No problem, Yes more then likely there is still a piece of plastic still inside the hose that your going to need to dig out somehow. It's pretty common for that piece break off.

The part number your going to need to fix this is (22-860382) Number 24 in the link below.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=809759%2098&ivar=images/COMMON/2426.png&inbr=2686&bnbr=100&bdesc=BELL+HOUSING

I'm hoping we were able to help you figure out your question for you. Good luck with it.:)

Last edited:
If fitting is broken in lower unit, you will have to drop, and warranty will not cover this, only if came from factory like this. But if it's the outer that is broken, no you don't need to drop lower unit

Steve

Iv'e been in touch with boat dealer and yet to be able to explain what I am talking about. After going back and looking at hookup from small hose. It was no broken part left in hose and the part I think it hooks to is just a hole in a fitting. I am assuming there is a part missing that plugs or screws into the hole and has a male barbed connection on other end of same piece. The tech at boat place says it hooks to yellow piece and I don't see anything yellow. Maybe that is the piece I think i'm missing? Anyway they say they will send a guy out in about 3 weeks to take a look. I live about 4 hrs. from dealer. Thought I might could fix it myself, but can't figure what part is missing. Anyway, thanks for all the help you all have given!

Is it one of these types of connectors that you have?

ScreenShot005.jpg

ScreenShot004.jpg

Back