Logo

Spark Plug Leads??

moresparks

Regular Contributor
Hi … can anybody answer why the Volvo Penta spark plug lead sets are so expensive and can the equivalent Motor Factor sets be as good? Is their a genuine reason? I know that you must replace certain ignition and electrical parts with genuine marine versions but wasn’t sure if spark plug leads fall in that category.
Here in the UK they are well over £130 pound sterling for each set and as I have a twin set-up that is expensive. If there is a genuine reason so be it.

I had the same question and was told that the reason the Volvo Penta leads are so expensive is because they're filled with gold!!

Ok - just kidding :cool:. I'm hearing over and over that there is no specific safety requirement for spark plug wires. Any good quality set will work. Depending on the engine, the automotive version may not fit so you'll need to check that aspect.

Many thanks for your responses – I can get a set of the highest quality silicone made to measure leads for a fifth of the price, so I will investigate further.

I can get a set of the highest quality silicone made to measure leads for a fifth of the price, so I will investigate further.

Ayuh,... The Only thing marine specfic about plug wires is their Length, 'n the ends on 'em....

Generally, automotive plug wires are too short, 'n have the wrong ends, ei: innies, vs. outies....

Back