Logo

Spark & Fuel No Power

81lund86

New member here reaching out for help. I've been working on my 1982 35hp johnson J35ELCND for a week, with some progress but now stuck. I was trolling 2 weeks back when she started putering in and out for about a minute then stayed in the "puter" mode, didn't matter if it was in gear or N. Pulled when I got home and they were shot so bought a set of plugs (L77JC4). Took it out and did same thing but I gave it one try at 75% throttle and she took off. If I backed it down to 30ish% throttle she'd start putering again. I did this 4-5 times, each time I could give her less throttle for her to take off and could back it down further and further until it would puter but I still had the puter at idle, that never changed. Pulled plugs at home both were wet and black. Compression is 138 top and 136 bottom, coils and wires tested good with good looking spark on both plugs. I found half dozen wires that were cracked and exposed so took entire harness out and repaired. Gas line from tank to motor is good, gas itself if good, fuel filter is clean, drained bowl and looked perfectly clean. Last time out after the wiring repaired seemed go back closer to the original condition. Any ideas?

Oh yah forgot to mention I attempted to adjust the idle speed knob but doesn't seem to do much. It was originally approx 7/8ths of a turn out. I started adjustment at 1.5 turns out and everything I tried seemed worse then going back to the original 7/8ths of a turn out.

Ok I'll give that a shot after work today, I was thinking if I saw a good looking spark the plugs and wires should be good but I am a turfgrass manager not a mechanic so I guess I can over look something like this easily. Thanks.

Common misunderstanding.----The plug has a 0.030" gap.----The system can make voltage jump the gap in free air.-----But when air is compressed in the cylinder to say 120 psi it takes much more voltage to jump that same gap.------Hence the factory has designed a system that can fire accross gaps of up to 1/2".------They do not build this stuff if it was not needed !!

Awesome guys thanks, I guess I should of listened to my old man the other day lol He was not about the spark since I had spark then few days later he explained just about same thing. I'll let you guys know when I get a chance. Thanks again!

Back