Logo

spacer kit differences

srdancer90

Regular Contributor
I am in the process of changing my risers(elbows) and manifolds on a 5.7 350 mag mie with dry joint exhaust. I have located a Marine max dealer that has a cool riser spacer kit, which is less in cost than the warm riser spacer kit. I have researched the warm coll riser and there seems to be very few parts dealers that can tell me the difference between them. What is the difference between a cool riser kit and a warm riser kit. The respective MerCruiser part numbers are ( cool riser kit) 8643065A ( warm riser kit) 864929A3. Can any one tell me if they know what the difference is between these kits.

This is the only thing I could come up with for you, Hope it helps you out some.

Below is a list of parts that would come in a Warm riser kit.

SEAWATER COOLED 119.38 MM (4.7 IN.)

WARM RISER KIT

Parts List
Qty. Description Part Number
2 Riser 119.38 mm (4.7 in.) 866208
2 Full-flow gasket 27-865786A01 (With turbulators)
2 Restrictor gasket 27-864850A1 (With turbulators)
1 Drop-down bracket 8637151
1 Screw, 1/4-20 x 5/16 in. 10-864378
6 Screw, 1/4-20 x 5/8 in. 10-860008
8 Screw, 3/8-16 x 1.0 in. 10-865982005
2 Pipe plug 3/4 in. 22-428611

And you may need A Supplemental Hose Kit.
IMPORTANT: Install the appropriate supplemental hose kit if applicable.
Description Part Number
V8 MPI sterndrive models 865033A1
V8 MPI sterndrive models with multi-point drain (MPD) None needed
V8 MPI sterndrive models with 1 & 3 point drain 865035A1
V8 MPI inboard and tow sports models with inline exhaust 865035A1
V8 MPI inboard models with V-drive exhaust 865037A1
V8 carbureted inboard models with V-drive exhaust 865043A1
V6 and V8 carbureted sterndrive models None needed
V8 carbureted inboard models with inline exhaust None needed

So what should make it a warm riser kit is mainly going to be the design of the Risers, The design of the gaskets with using the turbulators on them, And the way you install the gaskets will play a part in the way it all works together.​

So the "cool kit" should just be standard risers and gaskets.:confused:
By the way the part number you posted for the "cool kit" is 864306A5 You had it as 5A, I was :confused: for a second.:p:D

Also if you wanted to see a Picture of the kit you can type in your part numbers in the link below and have a look at them.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/partsByNumber.asp

Last edited:
MERC has two general cooling systems: one where the exhaust manifolds are "cold" and the other "warm". In the "cold" system, water enters the manifolds and exits via the risers. In the "warm", water circulates in the manifold as part of the block and head circulation, with water exiting directly from the risers.

The way I understand this is, the only difference in the kits is the gaskets,my engine requires a warm riser and a 3" spacer kit that has two(2) restrictor gaskets as well as two(2) full flow gaskets. I don't think that placing a 3" cool spacer kit will make any difference in the way the riser is cooled.Provided that the gaskets are placed in the same direction as the previous gaskets were placed.I believe that mine requires the full flow on the top of the manifold and the restrictor on the top of the 3" spacer with the restrictor end facing the pulleys of the engine. I cant believe that there is any difference in the manufacturing of the actual spacer in it self. Thanks for all the info.

Back