Logo

Solex rebuild

walster

Contributing Member
"I am rebuilding (first ti

"I am rebuilding (first time) two solex pai44 carbs, I purchased the totall rebuild kits and a seloc manual from this sight rolled up my sleves and took one apart as per what the book says, dunked the pcs into a bucket of acetone,let them soak over night to try to remove heavy coating of varnish.I cleaned all the parts carefully, so I am putting it back together and found a problem. The manual says to place the spring onto the diaphragm post then to position the diaphragm onto the carb surface with the post and spring faceing upwards. as per diagram how ever this is not the way mine were When I took it apart the spring was not on the post in fact it was not even on that side of the diaphragm it was between the carb body and the diaphragm I studyed the picture and it makes no sense to put the spring between the lever and the post the lever pushes the post but with the spring on the post it would keep the post and lever sprung apart.????? I am doing my first carb rebuild and reassembled the carb the way it came apart (spring under diaphragm) Is it possible I have it wrong or is the seloc book wrong? The other problem I found is the check valve that has the small screen, I found on one of the carbs it had no ball in it the triangle crimp on the end was partly broken enough to allow the ball out.Can I order two new ones is there a part number do they come with new screens? I was very suprised the carb kits did not have these parts in it. In the mean time the fix I put into place went as follows;first I needed to find a small enough ball that would fit into the check valve ....plug chain on the bath tub was cut mom-ma not overly happy but I told her I needed one ball, she tells me if I keep breaking the house up thats exactly what youll get! took the one ball off the chain filled it with solder rounded off as best I could installed it into the check valve then solderd a small pc of wire to act as a keeper. see pics. I dont intend to leave it like this and want to order two new ones asap.Can anybody help? Also want to replace screens.
115765.jpg
can anybody help out with the uni-sink process I am trying to get the tool today as I would like to take the boat out one more time before winter Please help. It was recomended not to do the fuel pump but I allready had it off so I need a part number for the gaskit the motor is a 130c.
115766.jpg
"

"A couple of questions Walter:

"A couple of questions Walter: Are we dealing with an early or late model Solex as described on page 4-19? What is the paragraph number that is giving you the instruction in question (11??)? What carb kit did you get? Finally, because I'm going to do the same carb cleaning task, how well did the acetone bath take off the varnish?

Cheers, Tom"

"Tom its an early model, on pa

"Tom its an early model, on page 4-20 diagram number 11 lower left corner shows to install diaphragm on to the post???? I dont know but I think this is wrong...The carb kit I got is 18-7000 check prior post titled V/P 130c posted a few days ago. The acetone worked but I had to scrub to remove varnish.A freind told me to dunk them in laqure thinner but I allready had the acetone so I used it instead......Good luck Walt"

Spring onto post would keep th

Spring onto post would keep the lever and post sprung apart DOH! And who rebuilds carbs useing bath tub parts???? The tubs not even a volvo its a crane lol

"I haven't taken my carbs

"I haven't taken my carbs apart yet for this cleaning session Walter, but I did a few years ago; in fact I stripped them down totally for cleaning. I cannot remember not following the book for any part of the re-assembly. If I had I think I'd remember
uhoh.gif
I guess you'll have to take you second carb apart and pay attention to how the part in question is assembled. I would be surprised if the carb worked properly if those parts were not assembled correctly.

Let us know what you find on the second carb!

Tom
happy.gif
"

"Tom,I to found it a bit odd a

"Tom,I to found it a bit odd a guy who has never taken a carb apart, buys the book to learn how to, finds it to be wrong (I think) Then ends up fixing it with a bath-tub part ...go figure? Second carb is now done it also had the spring under not over the post. The boat was running before the rebuild allthough I had to work the throttle a bit, hence the rebuild, I am hopeing to get new check valves and screens. I would like to hear from some of the experts if in fact I put the carbs together properly or not as I really dont know? Can someone Please help....Walt"

"Thanks Mike,how ever I,m not

"Thanks Mike,how ever I,m not looking for employment I,m looking for part numbers for my carbs and when I,m done that I,m going to fix the trailer with parts from the hide a bed.....Just Kidding.......Walt"

"Walter, look at diagram 11 on

"Walter, look at diagram 11 on page 4-15 (disassembly), It shows a spring under the diaphragm but that spring is much larger than the spring shown in diagram 11 on page 4-20 (assembly). I have just disassembled that part of a solex carb I have from another engine and the large spring is indeed under the diaphragm and there is no smaller spring of any size on the diaphragm post.

So, It appears the spring shown in diagram 11, page 4-20 is not applicable to you carb model.

fwiw, tom"

"Again thanks Tom it was put b

"Again thanks Tom it was put back together the way it was taken apart I to think it goes under, I still need to know what the part number is for the check valve/screen as I dont think the temperary fix I put in place will stop fuel it may but I would rather have the correct part new and working right. Do you know what the part number is? Or do you know where a guy could get one?"

"El Pescador ...Your the best!

"El Pescador ...Your the best! I wish I had your knowlage.I have a few questions,the part number for the check valve shows up as a kit from my dealer. He tells me the valve is in the kit and the cost of the kit is #232.00 plus tax ouch! I dont think the fix I put in place will work properly. Do you know what parts come with this kit? Also the factery setting for the carbs,I have the old style as the 130c is not on the chart in the book. Do you know what the setting,s are? And do you know where a guy could get a check valve and screen?...Thanks again Walt"

"Willing to buy a used check v

"Willing to buy a used check valve and screen,
snow.gif
anyone have a good working one for sale?"

"Walter, I think that the Sier

"Walter, I think that the Sierra carb kit (costs around 60 bucks) has the check valve included, have a look at the link.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-7000&returntopage= 80240775.htm

Regarding settings, I believe that your model of carb does not have an adjustable float, and the only adjustments you make are the idle mixture, idle speed, and synchronizing the two carbs.

Not sure where you can get a new screen (I understand they are available through the VP dealers), but you can always try to get one from an old carb from a VP boneyard (the same goes for the check valve)."

"Thanks El Pescador that is th

"Thanks El Pescador that is the kit I bought two of them one for each carb. The problem is the check valve (with the screen)is not part of that kit,the blowen up pic you sent me shows it as part #40,the screen is part#41 and the gaskit is part #42 You have to go through a dealer. He tells me that part number 856472 is a carb kit for my carbs and it contains that check valve,he did not know what other parts come with the kit as he has no stock, to order in a kit I would have to buy it for 232 and taxs. This is why I would like to know what other parts come with this kit.I am trying to set and sync the carbs today this is why I needed to know the initial carb setting from factory. Do you know what these setting are? One more Question while idleing on the drive way I noticed a drip of water comeing out of the sea water pump out of the small hole it drips onto the fan belt and sprays in my face could this be a seal? Do you know the part number? Thanks again for your help,I wish you lived here in Wpg. I would hire you to help me bring this old gal back to peak operating performance you are a big help thanks....Walt"

"Walter, these guys seem to ha

"Walter, these guys seem to have in hand two of the 856472 kits, but don't know how much tehya re asking for them

http://www.marinerecycling.com/

Also, here is a Mallory aftermarket kit

http://www.shootnhunt.com/catalog/JM/boat_accessories/boat_motor_parts_and_acc/m allory_marine/6216236.html

However, the above kit seems identical to the Sierra 18-7000, which is said to contain the check valve you are looking for. According to the following link the kit 856472 (the one the dealer says you need) is part of the 18-7000.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/sierra_catalog/80240774.pdf

Regarding carb settings, I would be guided by the ones contained in page 4-19 of the Seloc manual. Even if they refer to the AQ151 and AQ171, both those engines have the same carb setup as yours.

Regarding the raw water pump problem, it seems that the seal is gone on the impeller side. However, the VP site lists three different pumps, so you will have to determine which one is installed in your engine, as the seals have different part numbers.

On the following two pumps, you need seal 9

http://www.volvopentastore.com/SEA_WATER_PUMP_825916/dm/store_id.366--session_id .224778602--cart_id.443433535--category_id.332342--list_time.1194115037--view_id .317258

http://www.volvopentastore.com/SEA_WATER_PUMP_829895/dm/store_id.366--session_id .224778602--cart_id.443433535--category_id.332342--list_time.1194115600--view_id .317177

and on this one, the seal part is number 14

http://www.volvopentastore.com/SEA_WATER_PUMP/dm/store_id.366--session_id.224778 602--cart_id.443433535--category_id.332342--list_time.1194115646--view_id.317524"

"First, the spring belongs on

"First, the spring belongs on the carb side of the diaphragm. Second, the after market kits do not have the check valve you need. The Volvo kits do, but they are like gold! You can find these carbs on eBay for around $45. They are used and many require a kit, but the check valve you need should be good. The main thing that fails on these carbs is the accelerator pump diaphragm getting hard and cracking. Otherwise the bowl gets corroded and clogs up everything down stream or junk gets into the needle valve of the float. Be sure the passage ways are blown out with compressed air. You really need to be clean with carbs when rebuilding them."

Back