Logo

Small oil leak

walster

Contributing Member
"hi guys found your site like

"hi guys found your site like what i saw and have now joined. i own a 1975 glass craft 19 foot,it has a volvo 130c with a 170 penta drive. i bought it but was not informed the head was cracked,had it repaird valves ect,got it running and noticed a small oil leak from drive bellows hose is this normal? what should i be looking for? also this boat has never seen salt water i live in canada and have used it in fresh water only. Can someone help?"

"Bellows hose? I assume you ar

"Bellows hose? I assume you are talking either about the front or the back of the bellows boot. Also, I assume you are talking about a 270 outdrive. Is that correct? In that case, there is not supposed to be any oil leaks, or even any oil inside the bellows. Make sure the bellows is in good condition, that it is correctly installed (there is a rib forward and another aft on the bellows that have to go inside grooves in the bellhousing and outdrive) and that the forward and aft hose clamps are tight. The likely source of that oil is a defective outdrive seal (part 21 in the following link).

http://www.volvopentastore.com/UPPER_GEAR_UNIT_AQ_DRIVE_UNIT_270_270T/dm/store_i d.366--session_id.255089138--cart_id.576176356--category_id.332331--list_time.11 87021509--view_id.317448"

Back