Logo

skipping at WOT

89PartyHut

Contributing Member
87ish classic 50 4 cyl.

Brand new switchbox, stator, trigger, and completely clean carbs as well as new fuel pump.

Around 3800RPMish it will skip and back down then try up again.. Sounds to me like timing is messed up. All of the throttle arms "stops" have been adjusted it appears. Anyone know what the factory setting is?

I put a timing light on it and even at idle it appears that it is at "Max Timing" on the flywheel.. What could cause the timing to be off so much? The direction of the stator when installed? Trigger installed incorrectly?

Also when reving up I lose light on the timing light on plug 1 and 3 at higher RPM, 2 and 4 are constantly blinking..

Again I have brand new stator, trigger and switchbox..

anyone? I replaced trigger with old trigger and my timing actually moved?! back towards the right direction I believe.. But no change on the losing spark.. Now all of them lose spark around 2800+ RPM some come back some don't..

Could all 4 really fail??

I have my same year mercury 115 I-6 uses the same coils It runs fine, Ill pull those off and use them to test..

I pulled all 4 coils off the engine and ohmed them out, some of them are sometimes erratic but usually around .655k ohms. The ferrite cores all appears to be glued still.. 0B306550 is the serial number

Back