Logo

Shocking experience

joker

"i have a 175 evinrude mid 80s

"i have a 175 evinrude mid 80s and i get shocked when i touch the control box.
i just started the motor in the dark to see if i could find an arc somewhere and found nothing,went through the wiring everything is hooked up right removed all grounds cleaned and replaced but still get shocked.
has anybody ever had a similar problem ?
and how did you resolve it ?"

dont touch it!!!........sorry

dont touch it!!!........sorry i had to.

is it like a battery shock or like a spark plug wire shock?

so its a bite not a tingle?!

so its a bite not a tingle?!

sounds like your spark plug wires are arching somewhere.

i had a buddy whose lower cowling would bite you--- turned out the wires were jumping across to the hood latch bolt.

do you have removeable plug wires or the ones integrated into the coil?

all grounds tight and clean?

PLUGS ARE REMOVABLE TYPE
IF I

PLUGS ARE REMOVABLE TYPE
IF IT WERE A PLUGWIRE ISSUE WOULDNT IT SHOW UP RUNNING IT IN THE DARK ?
CLEANED ALL CONNECTIONS ON MOTOR AND THEY ARE ALL TIGHT
IT HAS HAD THE VRO PUMP REMOVED NEXT STEP IS TO CHECK THE ELECTRONICS LINKED TO IT
AND MAKE SURE THERE IS NO STRAY WIRES STILL HOOKED UP

"spark plug wires can be funny

"spark plug wires can be funny like that.

you could remove them and run a resistance check on them............or go out there while its running and grab hold of them in various places to see if they are leaking fire.

we looked and looked for the leak on my buddies motor , but with the hood off there was nothing to jump to........except me when i grabbed it.........electric things like to shock me---seems like im always getting shocked.

does it do it any time?

or only when its running?"

only when its running
the str

only when its running
the strange thing is while it was running i touched the bolt for the throttle linkage and that shocked me
also i took my test light to the negative battery terminal and touched it in several places on the block while it was running and the block was carrying a positive charge.
why the fuse or the stator didnt blow is a mystery to me

"Most likely a 'leakage&#3

"Most likely a 'leakage' in the stop circuit.
Pull apart the yellow/black lead from the power-pack and start. If gone, somewhere in the stop circuit it is partially grounding."

does yours have the wire holde

does yours have the wire holders bolted to the head cover?......they could be grounding there.

how do your coils look?.......any cracks? ..bolts tight?

have you pulled one wire off at a time and checked for voltage on the block?

you can temporarily use auto wires to see if that helps........if you have any laying around that is..........if you had to buy some i would go ahead and get the marine grade (metallic core)----i think it will cost you about $13-20 depending on where you shop.

what type of charging system do you have?.......the round rectifier on the side of the motor or the regulator under the edge of the flywheel on the back of the motor?

glad to see morten came to hel

glad to see morten came to help.

i was beginning to run out of ideas...i was almost sure it was a plug wire.

i didnt know the kill wire would shock you......im surprised i havent found out the hard way.

"The stop circuit holds about

"The stop circuit holds about 250 Volts!!!
My guess it is a chafing inside the controle box, defective emergency switch or key switch., or a bad grounding.
Check the attachment of the stop to the key-switch and that it does not get in contact with the housing.
Short on engine will not lead it up to the console.
I'm still around even if I've been rather quiet lately. Had a lot of other things to take care of."

"ck the ground wire,that conne

"ck the ground wire,that connects to the control box inside,coming from ign sw.that is its purpose,to grnd the box."

"this is a problem that i feel

"this is a problem that i feel can only be solved by disassembling everything and starting from scratch tracing every wire starting with the control box back to the motor.
the reason i say that is because my customer stopped by and we started the motor again and he got shocked even off of the aluminum trim away from everything, at the same time i hooked my test light to the ground on the battery and i got power off of the shift linkage on the motor and the block.
its a mystery wrapped in a puzzle submerged in a enigma.
the boat to me does not warrant the time or money that it would take to fix it.
not even sentimental value will save this one

thanks everybody for your expertise
this is a very valuable tool"

'at the same time i hooked

'at the same time i hooked my test light to the ground on the battery and i got power off of the shift linkage on the motor and the block. '

Most likely a very simple job!
Use a Volt meter and read off. Then Yo know exactly what is grounding!!

appears that he is looking for

appears that he is looking for a quick off the cuff fix...i dont see where he said he did anything with the yellow black lead as Morten suggested...i would recommend throwing that test light in the trash and getting a simple multimeter...then read from ground to the place where the shock is coming from to ground...get a a/c reading and a d/c reading and get back to us...you may have 2 problems here..a flaky ground plus a short somewhere...good to see you back Morten...we missed ya...

i may be crossing the line her

i may be crossing the line here and may hack some people off but i see 2 things happening here on electical/electronic problems..i will address the basic electical here..1..we get a lot of requests for assistance from people that dont know basic electricity..and a lot of them dont own a meter and could not use them if they have them...if they got one they dont know what they are looking at..a few of these guys are in business trying to fix motors etc..we can still help the guy if he can give us accurate readings and will follow suggestions...the guy in business needs to learn basic electricity to ever be an effective tech..plenty of places to get this knowledge...2..there is one thing that we can improve on as advisors or assistors on this site..the worst thing we can do is have a problem that is on the motor/system and can be fixed is to run the problem away..especially if the problem is one that will leave the guy on the water..it depends on the competence level of the person we are trying to help as to how effective we can be..some we just have to pull out our bag of probabilities based on experience..we have no choice..i am not arguing that...but there are some that by using the meters etc we can '''wrap our arms around the problem''' and get a good positive fix...that should be our goal..we have a excellent array of good people on this site and i am proud to be a small part of it..respectfully...carl

"the blk/yellow kill wire,..is

"the blk/yellow kill wire,..is the ONLY wire,that can cause a shock at control box....,and the usual prob,is a non-grounded,box,...for whatever reason,or bad switch.."

How much voltage is on the kil

How much voltage is on the kill switch? I touched mine once (had the cover off while trying to start). It bit like spark plug voltage!!!

Back