Logo

Shimming lower to upper 1995 DP-C1 older white drive

ollison

Shimming lowet to upper old DP-C1. Reading manual in confusing and converting mm to inches makes mistakes easy. Upper unit race grove .317. Lower rac heighth .298. ..317-298=.019. I have 2 shims added together=.015. So now I have .004 gap I think. What do I need in shims both mm and then inches for ordering purposes. Make it simple in layman terms. I do have 1 shim .005.
Thanks

You will actually be shimming between the lower unit and Intermediate housing... more specifically, above the vertical shaft bearing race.

Couple of things to note here:

1...... be sure to use the tapered roller bearing "race" that was originally with the DP-C lower unit. We DO NOT want to mate a wear pattern from another race to this DP-C roller cage. If you do not have it, it is likely still in the previous Intermediate housing and will need to be removed.
I'd grab the shims that will be above this race. They will not be correct for the new Intermediate........, but a combination of shims will be required. You may need to purchase more!
(the smaller the shim value........ the greater the chance of coming up with the correct combination)

2...... see your Volvo Penta OEM service manual (NOT Seloc... NOT Clymers).
Here is an On-Line version.
See PDF page 94 (actual manual page 91) for a cut view of the "angular contact" and "tapered roller" bearings.
There will be a section on PDF page 117 (actual manual page 114) showing how to calculate the shim value.
(see A and B dimensions)
See the note #37 regarding "Clearance"!

3...... you are shooting for a NEGATIVE Pre-Load.... NOT a Positive pre-load that may otherwise be used in a back-to-back bearing Pre-Load scenario.

4...... you'll need a good quality depth micrometer and a high quality dial indicator caliper (or zero to 1" micrometer).

Nut shelling this:

The race will be placed over the vertical shaft tapered roller bearing.
Tap the vertical shaft downward to remove any "Up" movement.
Now tap the race gently but firmly onto the roller cage removing any slack and/or Up movement.
Take measurement "A" in 5, 6 or 7 places around the race, and use the dimension that most consistently comes up. (this part is important)
If you are comfortable that this is .298".... then that is your "A" dimension. (double check yourself)

Now measure the bore within the Intermediate housing.
Again, take 5, 6 or 7 measurements.... using the one that most consistently comes up.
This will be your "B" dimension.

Do the math for shims needed that would offer a ZERO Pre-Load (or differential).
Now subtract until you reach a value that will offer what the OEM recommends for the Negative pre-load......
(I shoot for .001" -.0015" clearance).
Reason being:
1....... when adjusting used components..... i.e., bearing/gears, etc.
2....... the two cases never actually close the gap to ZERO.

Don't forget that the DP-C1 will be a short vertical shaft. This means that the long spline coupler must be used.

Back