Logo

Shelling out starters. Help!! 1997 4.3 L

markchininia

I have a 1997 Manta Ray with mercruiser 4.3 Gen2 that i bought a month ago. I have had it out 5 or 6 times and the starter went out. We took the starter apart and the plastic gear housing in the starter was gutted. So i orded a new starter, thinking that it was just old and wore out. Boat started up good and the 2nd day out shelled the starter agian. The starter was under warranty, but i dont want to send my starter off every other time i go out. It starts good when cold, but both times the starter went out it was warmed up pretty good. When it went out, sounded like the engine was kicking back like the timing is off. Any ideas out there?

Re: Shelling out starters. Help!!

the starter is turning the right way?

This after market starter?

You maybe got to shim it if after market ?

You suggested timing? So what did you do about it?

You do a compression test, when you do with all the plugs out and on a warm motor with the throttle fully down.

Write down the numbers.

When it cranking and your do the test watch the holes see water jumong out the hole.

Read the plugs.

When you do all that post back the results and observations so we can go from there.

Question: the starter is turning the right way?
Answer: I would assumed yes because it starts right up when it is not hot

Question: This after market starter?
Answer: Yes. From DB Electical.

Question: You maybe got to shim it if after market ?
Answer: I did shim it at 1st, but was rolling off the gears so i removed the shims.

Question: You suggested timing? So what did you do about it?
Answer: nothing yet. haven't got my replacement starter yet.

kewl your creeping up on the solution.

Ps db i can't recommend enough they stand by what they sell, lost count how many different things i bought from them..

Bolts are tight they are not snapping?

DB, i think is pretty aswome. I called them about the starter and i thought that i would atleast have to pay shipping, but they are sending a new shipping label and a new starter. Plus they beat everyone else on price hands down.

And Yes, I checked the bolts and they are tight.

Last edited:

Was there a rear support bracket on the original starter? If yes, it needs to be put back.

Yea guy i forgot to include that little tidbit. But mostly it's for snapping bolts.

You know what maybe the bolts are a tad to long and maybe it's feels tight but not snugging the starter to the block..

Could add a washer or 2 to the head of the bolts, can't hurt. So the bolt don't bottom out.

Back