Logo

Seals & O-Rings in water Inlet of 270 Stern

Elliot

New member
I'm new to this so please forgive. I have a Volvo Penta AQ125A with a 270 Stern. encountering engine Overheating. Replaced the Impeller as i found it shot, removed all of its debris in the tubes and heat Exchanger and in side the Sea Water Pump. It appears to be pumping Water when just sitting idle at the lake but, over-heats after moving through the water sorta fast. Now i bought the Seals and O-ring for the inlet water part of the Stern's located on the Intermediate section. My question is: Do i need to remove the Upper Gear section and remove the Lower Gear Unit in order to remove the Suspension Fork. I have never done this before and not sure how to approach this. I have mechanical skills as i have repaired my own vehicles (engines) since the late 1970's to now. Could use some guidance on this from who has experience in this subject. Thanks in advance for your help.
 
Somehow, I think the problem may be the raw water hose connector (AKA "water neck") on the intermediate housing. It is probably corroded and perforated, so the pump sucks air when the boat is on the plane. Get a new one from Sierra (it comes with the gasket) and install it, you just need a 3/16" Allen wrench and tilt the outdrive. Easy fix.

This is the part you need.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/p...78&returntopage=sierra_marine/sierra00856.htm

and this is the old style, but should also work.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/p...77&returntopage=sierra_marine/sierra00856.htm
 
Well about a month ago, i removed the Stern Unit and replaced the U-Joint Bellows & Exhuat Bellows. Checked the small water hose and that neck your talking about. It appeared Okay. i spoke to a local Marine dealer down the street he shown me the parts diagram of this tube that contains Seals and O-Rings of which relates to the water inlet at the Intermediate Housing.
 
Back
Top