Logo

Sea Pump leaking

3-legged-dog

Contributing Member
  • So Dec. 2013, i bought a Hardin Marine Sea pump, see link. http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-15774...d-502-mag.aspx
    Wednesday night I replaced alternator and starter solenoid. Starter solenoid for ignition issue now fixed and the alternator because housing was severely rusted. and my daughter complained was related to the sound of a bearing going out. whining, intermittently. And because the sea pump and water pump were just replaced in dec. 2013 had to be an alternator. right. either way i have a new one. So Saturday off i go. check the bilge, normal water in the bilge, i always have a little. boom, boat starts right up, first crank. awesome. run a mile to get gassed up. Full tank, ready to hit it for a great day of fishing. always check the bilge after gas. There it is looking right at me. a steady drip from the 2013 Hardin seapump. right out the bottom weep hole. dripping hard and steady with engine off. i run back to the dock, close the sea cock.

question, now the untimely repair with the boat one hour away and floating in the water. i need to bring the right tools down. On the Hardin Sea pump do you think i need to pull the entire pump out and disconnect the hoses off the back housing or just pull the front cover off. i dont remember if the 5 front housing bolts attach from the pulley side of the rear. Also to pull the pulley and repack the front head with new ball bearings etc. can that be done on a tailgate of a truck or do i need a press or something?

also, a little early on a sea pump repair i think. my last merc. pump lasted 10 years. Thoughts?

Thanks
    John

Hardin sea pumps suck and fail regularly. Replace the sea pump with the rebuild-able Mercruiser pump. I have a half a dozen of the Hardin pumps and i will not install them. They are crap.

Hardin warrantied the parts, last night I took the pump a part. Having never done this before the first time is always the hardest. reusable parts are clean and tonight i will attempt to rebuild and hopefully test and run over the weekend. Dropping $600 bones on the pump only to trash it so soon is hard to swallow. The bearing failed, closest to the pulley. What are some of the rebuild-able pumps you are mentioning.

Back