Logo

Screw on port side of 1988 cobra outdrive

rcahill31

Regular Contributor
"while preparing for winter to

"while preparing for winter today two screws were removed from the port side of the drive the first one was at the top and is shown in the service manual as a water drain screw, the second screw with a larger head was to the right over hydraulic cylinder, it was removed also and the drive was raised and lowered to force more water out and then antifreeze was poured in the long hose from the gimbal housing to guard the drive against freezing and anti-freeze came out of the screw hole that was over the cylinder and now the screw will not tighten, I am assuming that by removing that screw whatever was behind it is no longer there, so my question is can I plug the hole without any worry as to what may have fell off."
 
"Thank you Bob for the informa

"Thank you Bob for the information, next step is to decide before next spring which way to go."
 
"Ron...there is really only 1

"Ron...there is really only 1 way to go. Remove the drive, grease your u-joints, check the gimbal bearing and drive shaft bellows, fish out the nut plate, put the screw back in and tighten, put a do not remove sign next to it
happy.gif
and enjoy your winter
snow.gif
"
 
"Bob, I did all the u joints,

"Bob, I did all the u joints, the gimbal bearing was nice and smooth and we only put 30 hours on it this summer, if I do pull the drive, where does one go to try and fish the nut plate out and if you find it how and where does one get it back on, do you have to separate the drive or can you go into the impeller location?"
 
Back
Top