Logo

Scored. Maybe? 88hp spl Evinrude. Pictures! Did I win or loose?

BOATSMAN

New member
Found a 88hp Evinrude SPL last night. Came with motor, prop, and controls. First thing I noticed... Where does the battery connect? but I have attached pictures and looking forward to hearing feedback.
IMG_7490.JPGIMG_7492.JPGIMG_7491.JPGIMG_7493.JPGIMG_7494.JPGIMG_7495.JPG
 
Found a 88hp Evinrude SPL last night. Came with motor, prop, and controls. First thing I noticed... Where does the battery connect? but I have attached pictures and looking forward to hearing feedback.
View attachment 25317View attachment 25318View attachment 25319View attachment 25320View attachment 25321View attachment 25322

Addition pictures attached.

I provided welch plug to give an idea for model. I couldnt find a badge. Where would it be. Please provide obvious... Is this a vro motor?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7496.JPG
    IMG_7496.JPG
    689.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_7497.JPG
    IMG_7497.JPG
    677.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_7498.JPG
    IMG_7498.JPG
    676.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_7499.JPG
    IMG_7499.JPG
    593.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_7500.JPG
    IMG_7500.JPG
    674 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_7501.JPG
    IMG_7501.JPG
    471.7 KB · Views: 81
The 88 HP models did not come with VRO.-----But some one could have added it after it left the factory.----Your motor just has the simple fuel pump that can be repaired with a $10 diaphragm.------Not the $600 VRO pump.-----Red + cable goes to the solenoid.---- Negative cable goes to a 1/4" stud on the block with a nut.----Do a compression test on this motor first and foremost.----They are famous for breaking piston rings.
 
Last edited:
The 88 HP models did not come with VRO.-----But some one could have added it after it left the factory.

what is the obvious sign? It looks like i have a simple fuel pump and a gas connection on side of motor. I noticed missing bolts on rear of motor and thought What the heck?

i need to do compression test but, where does battery connect, there is no terminals? Are they typically left in the boat?

I know i can rig it from starter solenoid. Correct? would like a year ID.
 
Last edited:
See post #3 edited.----And what missing bolts do you speak of ?------There is a spot at the back to mount trim / tilt relays .---Also a feature not available on 88 HP models.-----The motor is 1995 /96 model I would say-----
 
IN your second picture there are two small red wires. If you look just to the bottom of them you will see the spot on the block where the neg cable will attach. It looks like the bolt is missing in this pic.
 
See post #3 edited.----And what missing bolts do you speak of ?------There is a spot at the back to mount trim / tilt relays .---Also a feature not available on 88 HP models.-----The motor is 1995 /96 model I would say-----

thank you. Pictures 1,4,& 5 show missing bolts. Worried me
 
IN your second picture there are two small red wires. If you look just to the bottom of them you will see the spot on the block where the neg cable will attach. It looks like the bolt is missing in this pic.

thank you I will look into that. This is a heavy motor how do I move this thing lol supposedly the motor ran before it sat. The old famous story.
 
Those 2 raised " bosses " are where the power trim/ tilt relays mount.----Most 88 HP specials do not have that feature along with no VRO.-----The 88 HP models are absolutely identical to the 90 HP models except for VRO and power trim / tilt.------A lower priced motor available when the market said folks bought that sort of thing.----Couple of 20 year old high school wrastling champions can carry that motor away.
 
Those 2 raised " bosses " are where the power trim/ tilt relays mount.----Most 88 HP specials do not have that feature along with no VRO.-----The 88 HP models are absolutely identical to the 90 HP models except for VRO and power trim / tilt.------A lower priced motor available when the market said folks bought that sort of thing.----Couple of 20 year old high school wrastling champions can carry that motor away.

awesome thank you learning already. THe motor has uncooked rice all over it. Maybe someone was hungry or maybe it was sunk and they dried drying like a cellphone in an bag of rice.
 
Those 2 raised " bosses " are where the power trim/ tilt relays mount.----Most 88 HP specials do not have that feature along with no VRO.-----The 88 HP models are absolutely identical to the 90 HP models except for VRO and power trim / tilt.------A lower priced motor available when the market said folks bought that sort of thing.----Couple of 20 year old high school wrastling champions can carry that motor away.

awesome thank you learning already. THe motor has uncooked rice all over it. Maybe someone was hungry or maybe it was sunk and they dried drying like a cellphone in an bag of rice.
 
Test and inspect carefully before spending any coins on it.

First plan is to do compression on each cylinder. Spraying mystery oil or Wd-40 in cylinder.
Should I remove all spark plugs and then replace one at a time and test compression with other spark plugs out? Correct?
 
First plan is to do compression on each cylinder. Spraying mystery oil or Wd-40 in cylinder.
Should I remove all spark plugs and then replace one at a time and test compression with other spark plugs out? Correct?

I finally got the motor out of the car and onto a dolly. I don't have a stand strong enough to support it. Can I do compression test with motor laying on its side? Dont want to invest in stand without knowing compression.

I have to rig up jumper cables to starter relay. black to ground and red to relay big post? should i use the key and controls to do compression?
 
I now my battery is charged. The motor isnt turning over fast enough it is only spinning starter motor somewhat.

Do i not have a good enough connection with battery and to starter relay and ground?

i think using jumper cables isn’t carrying enough juice. I need true battery terminals to relay and to motor block. Any ideas ?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top