Logo

Running out of ideas now

"I've just about exhausted

"I've just about exhausted every avenue in my quest to cure the overheating on my AQ225D.
The story is as follows:-
On the way back to port from a six hour cruise, we were two hours from home when we heard a 'bang' in the engine compartment and lost steering control.
We were in very rough seas and it was difficult to stand up let alone investigate under the engine cover. I realised that I had steering, but it was VERY heavy. I made the assumption that the power steering belt had snapped and nursed her back to the marina. On lifting the engine cover, the shaft of the main circulating water pump had sheared therefore throwing both belts.
I ordered a new water pump at great expense and fitted it the following weekend. Ever since then she has been overheating. I checked the impellor in the raw water pump and it looked ok. I removed the thermostat and checked it, it was fine. I removed the hose from the outlet of the raw water pump and started the motor, there seemed to be a good flow of water.
My conclusion was that the exhaust headers or risers were blocked therefore not allowing circulation. I ordered new riser gaskets and pulled the risers last weekend - they are quite clear with very little corrosion.
Before I left the boat, I disconnected the two 1" pipes that go from the thermostat housing to the exhaust headers. I connected a length of pipe to each of the outlets and hung them overboard.
When I started the engine, there did not seem to be as much flow as I would have expected, If I lift one of the pipes higher than the other it flows nothing at all and all flow goes to the lower pipe.
Should I have a real good flow into these pipes?
I am now back to suspecting the raw water pump.
Incedentally, the motor is running sweet, starts easily, idles fine and accelerates with no hesitation.
Any ideas on anything I've missed would be greatly appreciated.
Bill"

"Bill,
you should have a fair

"Bill,
you should have a fairly hefty flow coming from the 1" pipes from the stat housing to the manifolds. These are the only water outlets on the engine, in theory what goes in should come back out. Have you had the stat housing to bits and checked there are no blockages. When the engine got hot its likely that it has damaged/melted the impeller in the raw water pump, pull it apart and have a look. I would change the impeller regardless. Be carefull and keep an eye on the riser temps when running because of the lack of cooling water. Let us know how you get on."

"Bill, did you check if the ne

"Bill, did you check if the new circulation pump is identical to the one you removed? Most of those pumps do have a bi-directional impeller, but some don't. If yours is turning the wrong way for the type of impeller, then the engine will overheat."

"Thanks for the input guys.
I

"Thanks for the input guys.
I will be at the boat Sunday, I will put a new impeller in the raw water pump to see if I can up the flow.
El Pescador - as usual you come up with a possible cause that nobody would even dream of!! I will pull the new water pump and check the impeller - you never fail to amaze.

Thanks, I will post you on Tuesday when I get back with my findings.

Bill"

Back