Logo

Run Honda 2015 BF20D Elec start without battery

Rewinder

I tried and did not find an answer about my specific engine. My question is, is it safe to run my engine without the battery cables hooked up to a battery. No reference to this in the Honda manual. It does say not to disconnect the battery. Could I run the motor with no battery. Disconnect the leads to the battery and make it a manual start. My engine is a 2015 BF20D Elec. start and Tilt. Randy

Last edited:
Hi,

If you try and run your engine without at least a small battery connected (a 12 volt motorbike one would do) then you`ll blow your reg/rec unit and stand a good chance of damaging your main windings.

With a motorbike battery connected then you can manually start it without a problem and you won`t cause any damage.

Cheers, Matt.

That was what I am planning to do, 270cca Gell cell motorcycle or plain 15 to 20hp lawn mower battery for the Tilt. The question is that the manual start has a battery recharging lead that is a plug-in, but is lower amperage. 6amp vs 12 amp. Is it that the manual creates enough for the electronics and a little left over and the electric start has so much amperage and has to go somewhere, (to be buffered with the battery). Curiosity satisfied. Randy

Back