Logo

Result of upgrade 30 HP to 40 HP Mariner 1995

olivierhegy

"Bonjour (Graham Lamb &#41

"Bonjour (Graham Lamb )

My dealer has replaced my old carburator reference WME 3301-824924-C (reference writen on the carburetor which should be the original carburetor WME xxx for my 30 HP) by a new carburetor WME 67 with order reference 3301-821383T18 (but with reference 3301-824854C1 writen on the new carburetor).

I have two questions:

Q1) I do not understand why the order reference for the new carburetor is 3301-821383T18 but it is written 3301-824854C1 on the new carburetor?

Is there any mapping rule for these 2 references to be sure it is a WM 67? Does it include Reed Valves?

I cannot see any ordering references for the Reed Valves. Should my local dealer had ordered sperately ?

Q2) After testing the new carburetor WM67, indeed I cannot no real difference in term of boat speed in comparaison with the old carburetor. My boat seems to run at the same speed.

should we expect a real difference with a 40 HP replacing a 30 HP ?

Many thanks in advance for your support.

Cordialement,
Olivier"

"Hegy, they may have supersede

"Hegy, they may have superseded the carb again - I haven't seen a listing for that part number, but it seems like almost every year they come up with a new number. I have 86 and 87 9.9's and I think there is close to a dozen carbs that will work just like the original.

The carb does "not" include the reeds. You will require an entire assembly (cage, reeds, reed stops) to complete the conversion. So yes, should have been ordered separately. That will allow the motor to fully "inhale" properly with the new carb.

As to performance increase. May not be something you notice significantly.

In most cases my advice when asked about "upping the horsepower" is - "it's usually not worth it".

Common example is a build to increase a 9.9 to 15 horse (very common request). Technically, that would increase the horse power by 50% - quite significant. The cost, if possible to convert - a new (used) carb and exhaust plate/tube.

New parts, approx 300-400 bucks depending on where you are. And what do you get for the 50% increase.

Personal note - I run a 14' deep V - total displacement (boat/motor/fuel/battery/people/junk) about 950 pounds. Ran it for the last 7 years with a 1986 9.9 horse. Acquired a 1991 15 horse last winter, excellent running motor after restoration.

Compared under similar conditions. Top speed with the 9.9 - 22 mph (gps measured - flat water, no wind). Top speed with the 15 - 25 mph (same conditions). Only other increase noted, almost 40% more gas burned running at WOT for the same time period.

So speed increase = about 3 mph or 14%

Is that worth maybe 400 bucks plus 40% higher operating costs? Personal decision I guess, but I know this fall when I bring my boat in that the 15 is coming back off and I'll re-rig the 9.9..

So what kind of performance will you see with 33% more horses (once running that way)? Who knows - will it be worth it? you will have to decide for yourself. But if you don't notice much (like I observed) you shouldn't be too surprised...."

Back