Logo

Replace intake manifold gastet?

scott_duerring

Regular Contributor
I need to pull the intake manifolds on my 8.2 MPI Crusaders to get to the injectors, can I reuse the same intake manifold gaskets or should I use new gaskets when I reassemble? If I need new gaskets where is the best place to get them? I looked on this site and could not find them.

While I have re-used gaskets before on some very old vintage engines, I don't like doing it and I do not believe it will be in your best interest in the long term to do so. New gaskets I recently replaced in my F-150 were about $60.00 for the intake set and much more hi-tech than the old paper or copper ones used not too long ago. The linings on the new gaskets seem like they crush once , make a good seal and that's it. For the effort involved in having to re-do the project, if it were me, I'd get another set and replace em. OF COURSE, I could be 100% off base....it's only 2 cents worth of opinion. FWIW

Are you close to the Orville Redenbacher factory?

The whole intake or just the upper plenum? This the upper plenum with the throttle body on the side (or on the front)?

If the whole thing is comping off, I think you'd be best off like Knuckle suggested and get the whole intake set (both upper and lower). If it is just the plenum that's coming off, most of what I've seen use a GM styled setup where the plenum gasket is "o-ring like" (reuseable as long as they don't get damaged). I've seen a "cheap design" where there is an old paper style which must be replaced.

If there is a GM part number on the intake or the plenum, you should be able to get the gasket thru there network or most any good parts store. You can always be safe by getting a complete intake set from your local Crusader dealer. If you don't have anybody handy, I'd suggest Rick at linesix service. He's been know to frequent this board but I can't say I've seen him lately. Very reasonable to deal with.

Thanks for the input, and yes I am pretty close to Redenbacher's factory... Valparaiso even celebrates "Popcorn Day" every year with parades and such. When Orville was alive he would show up and ride in the parade.
At any rate... I am just pulling the upper plenum to get access to the fuel rail. According to the manual diagram it looks like the "O" ring style gasket is the type used. I was concerned about getting into the job then running into an issue that would delay putting things back together.

Hey Scott,

" I was concerned about getting into the job then running into an issue that would delay putting things back together."

Stuff like that NEVER happens.... ;)

Ya mean that stuff happens to other people too???
Pulled the injectors yesterday, the gaskets are the O rings they are in good shape. One thing I saw that concerned me, there was a build up of oily grit in some, not all of the intakes, it seems the ones closest to the air cleaner were the dirtiest, I pulled the air cleaners, they are K&Ns and intend to clean them and re-oil them. Anything I should be concerned about? I just expected everything to be pretty clean when I pulled the plenum. Used throttle body cleaner spray on the throttle body to clean them up.

Back