Logo

Replace ignition coils - 1979 Johnson 6hp

FishyBC

Contributing Member
So I have done the coils under the flywheel but not the ones on a motor with a CDI box. I discovered that I'm not getting spark from one of my coils.
I have 2 new ones here and am ready to swap them but there are a couple challenges.

Is there pictures, a video or instructions anywhere to show the best way to do this ? Looks like the last time they were done the guy just cut the wires and used butt connectors ? That's such bad form. I'd like to do it right.

My challenges are accessing the 3/8's bolt on the bottom of the bottom coil and how to feed the pin on the new coils into the rubber connector properly. If I have to I'll modify a 3/8's wrench to get at it.

There are special tools to push the pins out and into the plug connectors. It can be done without the tools, but I don't know how since I had the tools. Use alcohol as a lubricant.

Testing needs to be done.----My bet is on the powerpack being faulty.

So maybe my bad assumption but when I did a spark jump test, I get a nice strong spark out of the bottom cylinder but the top one almost never jumps the tester. Could it still be the powerpack if one cylinder is working well but the other one isn't ? What is the best way to test those coils ?
I will replace whatever is necessary, I am interested in learning now to diagnose this though.
Thanks for your help on this one.

So it was the coils. Once I realized that I had the 2 leads reversed it fired right up. Haven't water tested yet but I have strong start out of both cylinders.
1 question. I went to put the hood back on and the could stick out too far and I cannot get the lid back on. I bought the correct Sierra replacement.

Switch the wires between the pack and the coils. If the non firing coil now fires as it should, then obviously the coils would be okay. Just figure out how to switch those wires. I've done it without special tools... long nose pliers and WD40, but maybe you'll come up with something better.

Anyhow, that's your first step... find out if that coil is good or bad.

Switch the wires between the pack and the coils. If the non firing coil now fires as it should, then obviously the coils would be okay. Just figure out how to switch those wires. I've done it without special tools... long nose pliers and WD40, but maybe you'll come up with something better.

Anyhow, that's your first step... find out if that coil is good or bad.

I did do that sort of as I had the 2 reversed. All is currently running great, I just can't get the lid back on because the coils stick out too far.
Not sure if I can reverse them so the leads point toward the powerhead but I'll ahve to try it or else I can't really use it.

I'll upload a couple pics and maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

BackView.jpgSideView.jpg

Last edited:
Back