Logo

Replace 302 omc with 351W omc

donzi

"I have a 23' Donzi with 3

"I have a 23' Donzi with 302 omc king cobra. i would like to replace with 351W omc i pulled out of another older boat. One dealer tells me it can be done another dealer says it Cannot be done. Has anyone made such a conversion and is it possible and if so any problems with the transition. the 351windsor motor is complete, can it hook up to existing king cobra outdrive. And are any parts on the 302 swapable with the 351windsor"

"Ford love to change things, b

"Ford love to change things, but I'm pretty sure the bolt patten of the bell housings are similar. The 351 is taller and wider than a 302 and, though some will say otherwise, the outdrive gear ratio will work just fine. Hopefully you'll need a bit more pitch on the prop (which means it's going a lot faster!)

Jeff"

The only difference on a 302 a

The only difference on a 302 and 351 Windsor is the height and width of the block and the intake manifold. They increased the stroke of the engine and that's why the block is taller. The bellhousing bolt patterns are the same. The heads are the same. The engine mounts will swap over from the 302.

More cubic inches are always a good thing. Have fun.

"I too have a 23' donzi, p

"I too have a 23' donzi, probably the same boat you have, mine's a 1990 GT230. It came with a 351, I thought they all did.?. The previous responses were right on. The block is taller (1/2"I think) & wider at the top end, but same otherwise. Other than the intake, I think all's interchangeable. The heads are interchangeable but some have different ports and valves-larger/smaller. Which year/model is your boat? If it's like mine and you're anywhere near LA I'd love to get a look at another one to compare to mine."

"FYI - mine runs perfect with

"FYI - mine runs perfect with a 14 1/4 X 23+ steel prop., just under 50mph at about 4200RPM."

Back