Logo

Repair CDI BOX Mercury 7,5hp

Leo Zvar

Just want to show you guys that its not impossible to repair a CDI box, i have found the problem on it whit the cables and some of the components,but it took 1 hour to get down there and im not finished yet from the other side... :)

the electric parts can be found on www.elfa.com

This is how the CDI box looks now.

CDI.jpg

Slick! (Always wondered what's inside there.)

How did you get all that potting out without damaging the interior components?

Jeff

Slick! (Always wondered what's inside there.)

How did you get all that potting out without damaging the interior components?

Jeff

Its pretty easy, its made by silicion so it doesnt stuck that hard to the electrics. first i did was cutting whit knife around the box, after that i used the other tool "sorry aint that good on english" to digg down to the card, hope you understand :)...

this is the only tools i used for getting down on the upper side of the CDI.

i will use a dremmel to cut the plastic underside the box to get to the other side but havent done that yet.....

Bravo Two! (or too....) LOL!

The black boxes have always been such a mystery to boaters. I've always been puzzled as to why more of the electronics engineer types who also happen to be boaters haven't tackled black boxes with more of a vengence.

The damn things cost so much $$$$$...and more than likely when they fail it's only because of a bad solder joint somewhere...or the failure of a 50 cent part inside.

Still....we weep and moan and shell out hundreds of dollars to replace the thing.....such a shame.

Does someone want to try this on a genuine Mercury box?

C'mon...you can do it!

See.....that's the other thing that bugs me.....why hasn't someone managed to figure out the circuit and wire them up?

I can see if it's an Ocean-going vessel where max reliability is needed....in that scenario I can see where people would grimace and pay the big bucks for a professionally done replacement.....But....what about the thousands of small fishing motors that end up on the scrap heap because no one cares to spend hundreds of dollars to replace ignition components?

Thanks Leo for sharing this adventure of yours!

This reminds me of the iphone. There are companies that purchase the phone the very first day they become available....take them apart....and list each and every component in the thing...who makes it....what it costs....down to the last resistor. The same could be done for these black boxes.

It's just a very well kept secret. None of the OEM companies want people to know just how little is inside. I'm sure that after your careful tear-down....you or anyone with an electrical engineering background could draw the schematic and reverse-engineer the whole thing; perhaps even making improvements as they went.

Kinda like open-source software....the more minds that get involved...the better programming becomes.

Back