Logo

Removing Flywheel of 1985 Evinrude 8hp

bigmon1942

"I need to remove the flywheel

"I need to remove the flywheel of my 1985 8hp Evinrude.

Does the flywheel need to be in a certain position before removing?

Also I'm attempting to install a stator under the flywheel, it says a special tool is needed to do the job, Its called a locating ring,
BMCA P/N 334994, is this tool actually needed, or is there a trick of the trade that can be used?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Fred M"

You need a "harmonic pulle

You need a "harmonic puller" to remove the flywheel as it is on a taper on the crankshaft. It bolts on with high tensile screws ~~~~ see the threaded holes in the top of the flywheel.

The flywheel is also keyed so dont lose the key.

My guess is that the special tool is to position the stator with the correct clearance between it and the flywheel.

"Ok VicS, thank you for that i

"Ok VicS, thank you for that info!

I still need to know if I need that locating ring, or is there a way around it something I could make or use.

I really hate to buy an expensive tool and just use it one time.

Thanks once again
Fred M"

"Fred..... The same procedure

"Fred..... The same procedure (below) will apply to the job you're faced with.

(Magneto Coil Alignment)
(J. Reeves)

To align the coils properly, have the metal vertical portion of the coil yokes aligned with the inside edge of the bevel that exists on the top portion of the aluminum seat upon which the coils sit. This creates the proper distance between the coils and the flywheel magnets. Faulty alignment creats friction and the yokes of the coils heat up, turn blue and expand.

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back