Logo

Removing a single carb from an '04 Merc 90 4 stroke

thkeeler

I have a 2004 Mercury 90hp, 4 cyl, 4-stroke that has serious problems but the main problem at the moment is that the bottom carburetor is stuck. Since the linkage is connected to the bottom carb the engine is hard to speed up and to slow it to an idle I have to go back to the engine and tap the carb linkage with a screw driver and hammer. The Seloc manual says "Although a single carburetor can be removed individually from the motor for replacement or service, the procedure given here is to remove all 4 carburetors, as a unit, along with the intake manifold assembly." They don't give a procedure for removing a single carb. I just want to remove the currently offending carb, the bottom one. If anyone give me the procedure for removing a single carb, or point me in the direction of that procedure it would be much appreciated.
I'm just trying to get this engine to operator for a few more weeks until I get another. It's got almost 10,000 hours on it (Yes! really! almost 10,000 hours. It's on a commercial boat and has been used 4 to 5 days a week, 8 to 10 hours a day since May 2011), has a blown head gasket and leaks water into the lower unit, and will be replaced in a few weeks, so I want to spend as little time & money on it as possible so just want to free up the one carb.

I have the same motor but 2000 model. I was looking to remove one carb at a time. After looking real close, I don't see how it's possible. I almost had it at one point, but then realized that there was much more to it. Honestly, removing the whole assembly was the Route that I took and it worked out. I actually removed them all twice within 1 week as I am having troubles with my motor once warm and I just wanted to rule out any carb issues. The first time, I wasn't 100% confident, but the second time was quick and easy as I knew what to expect.

Not familiar with this model either but looked it up in the service manual and likewise don't see an "easy way" to remove a single carb.

And the service manual (Merc factory manual, not an aftermarket) does not detail how to remove a single carb from the bank - they show removing the whole bank before splitting things down further with no mention that I can find that details removing one while leaving the the others "in place"..

Back