Logo

Remote oil filters

Act Three

Contributing Member
The 360 Chryslers in my 34C Silverton have oil filters located right up against the stringers where they are really hard to remove without making a oily mess. I'd like to remote mount the filters.

On my last boat (Chev 350s) I needed an adapter that screwed in in place of the filter. The adapter accepted the hoses to remote filter housing.

Does the Chrysler engine also use an adapter of some kind? I've searched around and have found lots for SBCs but nothing specifically for Chryslers.

Any idea of where I could find them?

Bill

I put a generic set on my 318's,from the local parts store, the set recomended using at least 1/2 inch pipe..I went with 5/8, they accept a huge filter & the bi-annual oil chage is now relativly mess free

Two cautions from those who use this setup:

1. Be sure you don't have an oil leak with all those connections and,

2. Be gentle on the throttle at start up, especially when the motor is cold. Why? It takes a lot more time for the oil gallaries to pressure up with all that plumbing.

Jeff

Summit Racing was a good suggestion although I ended up calling their tech support (1-330-630-0240). These guys don't moan when you say "marine."

For my 1980 Chrysler 360 the adapter that mounts on the block is Trans-Dapt #1013. The remote filter mount (top entry for the hoses) is Trans-Dapt #1028. For side entry of the hoses, use Trans-Dapt #1045. I did not order hoses since I prefer to have them made professionally at exactly the right length. Pressed-on fittings on oil lines make me nervous.

I put remote filters on my last boat and to fastjeff's point, in theory, the oil lines to the remote filter should always be full but I did find that it took an extra second for the oil pressure to come up on cold starts. Also, even with the best quality hose, the hoses get a little limp after running at normal operating temperatures for a while so you have to support the hoses carefully, especially if the distance to the remote filter is fairly long.

Trans-Dapt recommends applying no more than three turns of Teflon tape to each fitting.

Thanks for the advice and the lead to Summit racing.

Bill

Jeff, it's funny you should mention the part about slow to pressure up. I was looking into rigging a pre-oiler system. Widely used in automotive for years but I'm surprised they're not more prevalent in marine considering our engines experience much longer down times...really hard on components at startup.

Anybody have pre-oilers installed?

Back