Logo

Ready to fire up, but question first

film842

Contributing Member
Getting ready to fire up my AQ131A on it's pallet. Still have to connect the battery plus connector to the solenoid and the minus to a ground point on the engine. Then connect a remote start switch.

My question is this: Will the engine's ignition be "on"? In other words, as I turn the engine over will I be getting spark to the plugs?

I'm an electrical idiot so I have ask some pretty bonehead questions. Thanks.

1. You need to supply a source of water to the engine, or else you will "eat" the rubber impeller on the engine mounted raw water pump. A little a 15 to 20 seconds of running dry will trash the pump. Best way to furnish water is to attach a short hose from the inlet fitting of the raw water pump to a 5 gal pail that is either at the same level as the pump mounted on the front of the engine, or slightly above it. Let a free running garden hose almost fill the pail before starting the engine. Keep an eye on the water level in the pail, making sure it does not run dry. Do not connect a pressurized, i.e. direct feed hose to the water pump inlet. The water pump like other things is designed to suck, not be blown...

2. Not likely you will get spark when you crank. You will need to furnish a +12 feed to the ignition system as well. I am not familair with the physical connection for this to this particular engine. Far wiser heads on this site can help you on this.

My "thing" with engines that have not run for awhile, is to let it crank without ignition feed (or fuel) for several pulses of 5 seconds or so with 10 sec rests, in order to get some oil circulating in the engine before starting it up.
Normally, I wait until my oil pressure gauge indicates some pressure pulses first, but you are running without instruments. Often you will have to crank it awhile to get it to start anyway and this is an unnecessary step, however...

2. Not likely you will get spark when you crank. You will need to furnish a +12 feed to the ignition system as well. I am not familair with the physical connection for this to this particular engine. Far wiser heads on this site can help you on this.

Ayuh,.... Jumper a wire from the battery (+) to the coil's (+) terminal,....

If your engine is set up with a start-by-pass circuit, you should have igntion spark as the solenoid S terminal is being powered.
With fuel in the carburetor, it should fire up.
It will also die the moment that the S terminal becomes un-energized.

I'd suggest that you use the connections within the engine harness to power the starter motor's solenoid and ignition.

Purple will be ignition.... yellow/red stripe will be starter motor solenoid.

If your engine is set up with a start-by-pass circuit, you should have igntion spark as the solenoid S terminal is being powered.
With fuel in the carburetor, it should fire up.
It will also die the moment that the S terminal becomes un-energized.

I'd suggest that you use the connections within the engine harness to power the starter motor's solenoid and ignition.

Purple will be ignition.... yellow/red stripe will be starter motor solenoid.

Thanks Rick. If I understand correctly, I should make a connection between the purple wire and the yellow/red stripe wire within the the square plastic engine connector. The connector that plugs into the boats wiring harness?

Thanks Rick. If I understand correctly, I should make a connection between the purple wire and the yellow/red stripe wire within the the square plastic engine connector. The connector that plugs into the boats wiring harness?

Yes....... powering the purple will energize the ignition.
Momentarily powering the yellow will excite the starter motor.

Make sure you have a video recorder started first. If it's not bolted down good, it could roll across the room!

Ayuh,.... With nothin' hooked to the motor, there's little to no torque loads,....

I've run huge 300+ hp diesels sittin' on their oil pan, sittin' on the floor,....

Back