Logo

QuickSilver Power Tune Spray - worth trying??

Steve Comerford

I have a Mercury 2001 90 hp 4 stroke outboard. NOT fuel injected. I want to spray this Power Tune into my carburetor intake but don't know how to access it. Would appreciate some advice.

On 2 stroke engines of that size and year-model, the block is vertical and the intake manifold is at the front with the carbs bolted to it. Over the carb's intake is a plastic plenum that serves as a noise limiter. Plugged holes are usually over the carb intakes whereby you pry out the plugs and look directly into the venturi of the carb. Otherwise....... These have a front cover part and a main assembly part that bolts to the carb or intake manifold, easily accessed, unbolted and removed.

Thanks Texasmark. Actually it's a four stroke. If you look at the photo, I thought I could access the carb intake by removing the plastic plenum but it doesn't come off. Note the three bolts I removed. How can I identify the correct holes to unplug? I can send a better photo if that will help.

IMG_0198.jpg

I can't blow up that picture. You told us initially that it was a 4 stroke and since I never saw one I explained what I knew thinking that it might be adaptable to the 4. One thing is for sure. Plastic parts and metal parts are manufactured separately....they have to come apart. I don't think adhesive is used anywhere on a serviceable marine engine where plastic meets metal. There is a way. You just haven't found it....may have to remove some other things to see the screw/bolt you are missing.

Yes you're right about that. I will provide better pictures for you ASAP. What I initially thought is that the plastic plenum (with the 3 bolts aligned vertically) was a separate plastic part from the horizontal round "tubes" that (presumably) would lead to the carb intakes. But what I found out is that the entire plastic assembly seems to be ONE PIECE - actually 2 molded plastic pieces permanently joined together. If that's correct, then removing the plastic parts to access the carb intake is either (1) not possible, (2) way more difficult than I predicted, or (3) not necessary because there are plugs that provide access to the carb intake. So that leads us to needing better pictures, which I will provide in my next post. Thanks again.

These pics should help. I tried to focus on the area where there might be ports to access the intake, where the plastic is bolted to the metal, and where the two plastic parts are (presumably) glued together permanently.

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

OK, let's try something different. The carb intake plenum has holes in one end where air enters. Get someone to crank the engine and while cranking, give those holes a good dose of spray, trying to keep the volume per hole identical and simultaneously.....like spray back and forth across them.

OK, let's try something different. The carb intake plenum has holes in one end where air enters. Get someone to crank the engine and while cranking, give those holes a good dose of spray, trying to keep the volume per hole identical and simultaneously.....like spray back and forth across them.
Good thinking Texasmark, so let's review. The plenum and runners are one-piece (actually two molded pieces of plastic permanently glued together......I read that in the manual). To remove the plenum assembly you'd have to remove some other bolted-on parts first; I've already decided against doing this. So to follow your directions, (if you look at the attached pic, which shows the other side of the motor), you can see the vertical air screen, which is easily taken off. Then the air must take a 90 degree turn left, down through the runners (about 12 inches) to the carb intake. So if I spray the air intake, won't the Power Tune simply spatter against the side of the plenum?

Air.jpg

Texasmark, in addition to my previous question shown above (spraying Power Tune into plenum), I had one more question...... a friend of mine suggested draining the carburetor bowl(s), which is easily done because the brass screws are very accessible, then retightening the brass screws. Next, disconnect fuel hose from fuel pump, and spray Power Tune into the fuel hose, so that it reaches the carburetor that way. He said let it sit overnight that way to remove the build-up/varnish, and the next morning spray compressed air into the fuel hose to clear out the carb. Then start engine. Sounds rational to me. Your thoughts? One concern I did have was that the Power Tune might be caustic and damage the inside of the fuel hose. (?)

The power tune is an aerosol and if the engine is sucking air because someone has the key in start position, you are going to get mist into the combustion chamber. On cleaning the carbs, absolutely. On spraying into the fuel hose won't hurt. Looks like you have a couple of plans that may work.

The power tune is an aerosol and if the engine is sucking air because someone has the key in start position, you are going to get mist into the combustion chamber. On cleaning the carbs, absolutely. On spraying into the fuel hose won't hurt. Looks like you have a couple of plans that may work.
OK, good point. So I need someone to crank the engine - meaning crank the engine without it starting? Meaning pull a spark plug wire and then turn the key? Just for my own education, why is this important?

OK, good point. So I need someone to crank the engine - meaning crank the engine without it starting? Meaning pull a spark plug wire and then turn the key? Just for my own education, why is this important?
I don't understand your comments here. Makes no difference if the engine starts....spray it while its running, actually spray it enough to get it to bog down and then quit spraying and let it recover its RPMs....then do it several times then, as soon as it recovers, shut it off. Let it sit for some time (soaking) and start it back up. Run it a bit and either clean you plugs or install new ones.

I see no reason to pull a spark plug wire during the test.

Sorry Texasmark. I got a little confused as to why a second person needed to crank the engine. At any rate, here's what I did....I unhooked the vapor recovery hose located above the air intake screen. Then with the engine running and throttled up a bit I sprayed Power Tune into the intake. Short bursts of it. Just as you said, it would bog down and recover. Sometimes it would stall the engine and I'd restart it. Used a full can. (I decided against the previous idea of removing a fuel line and spraying directly into each carb). After treating it with Power Tune I changed spark plugs. In a separate gas can I mixed 3 gallons of fresh no ethanol gas with 1 ounce sea foam and 1 ounce Power Kleen. Put the boat in the water and ran that 3 gallons through with lots of high speed runs. Top speed high RPM's. Engine runs great now. Hope I did it correctly.

Sorry Texasmark. I got a little confused as to why a second person needed to crank the engine. At any rate, here's what I did....I unhooked the vapor recovery hose located above the air intake screen. Then with the engine running and throttled up a bit I sprayed Power Tune into the intake. Short bursts of it. Just as you said, it would bog down and recover. Sometimes it would stall the engine and I'd restart it. Used a full can. (I decided against the previous idea of removing a fuel line and spraying directly into each carb). After treating it with Power Tune I changed spark plugs. In a separate gas can I mixed 3 gallons of fresh no ethanol gas with 1 ounce sea foam and 1 ounce Power Kleen. Put the boat in the water and ran that 3 gallons through with lots of high speed runs. Top speed high RPM's. Engine runs great now. Hope I did it correctly.
To clarify, I unhooked the vapor recovery hose and sprayed Power Tune into that hole, which seemed to be a more direct route to the carb intake. FYI I had decided against my previous idea of removing the fuel line and spraying Power Tune directly into each carb. Hope that was OK to do.

Apparently you did....."proof is in the puddin" was the talk around the house when mom has a new recipe she was checking out.....i don't remember her ever making questionable puddin.

Apparently you did....."proof is in the puddin" was the talk around the house when mom has a new recipe she was checking out.....i don't remember her ever making questionable puddin.
Texasmark, so I'm all set now. Good learning experience for me. Going forward, when fueling my boat I'm going to always use the "Mercury Component Cocktail" which is 5 gallons of non-ethanol gas, 1 oz of Mercury QuickCare, and 1 oz of Mercury Quickleen. I've heard good things about this method. Thanks for all your advice. Much appreciated.

Back