Logo

Question for the pros

mistahays

Advanced Contributor
"Gentlemen,

Looking at Sear

"Gentlemen,

Looking at Searays. And have posted my questions over under Caterpillar section... where we get 2 postings every 6 months.

Need thoughts from you if you have them... jim, fastjeff, pete, rod, guy, "ayuh" Bondo, troy... and other opinionated legends. many thanks.

Hays"

"David;
No personal experienc

"David;
No personal experience with Searays, but owners seem to like them, and they sure look good!
Are you going Cat engines?
Rod

PS: Not sure what an "opinionated legend" is. Is that a good thing? (Just kidding........)"

"David
From one opinionated l

"David
From one opinionated legend, to another opinionated legend.

(cannot believe I wrote that)

I am a bit of a Caterpillar fan, havent had anything to do with them in a marine environment but have spent a little bit of time working on them in trucks and earthmoving equipment.
Have always found them to be pretty well bullet proof.
Also, have heard of examples of them being used for Aux power generation, in sub zero temps where they are expected to come on line, when main power go's offline, within literally seconds they are required to start and move to full throttle to run auxillary generators.

Where they were used, appearently they were the only engine that would give any degree of longevity of service, in the situation they were being used in.

Cheers From a Chilly Downunder
Peter C"

"My Searay has been a pretty g

"My Searay has been a pretty good boat. A few hick-ups here and there, but those are all engine related as you have all read about.
If I were king for a day in the Searay engineering departmentent I think the only thing I'd try to improve is the fuel capacity for the smaller cruisers. Mine holds 50 gallons. More than twice that seems to be pretty common for boats in that size range, and there's plenty of room for a larger tank.
Otherwise, no complaints."

"Being an aluminum boat owner,

"Being an aluminum boat owner, NO plastic boat excites me. There's lots of SeaRays out there, however, so...

Recommend STRONGLY that you get a survey done, and have the guy check the stringers and bulkheads for rotting wood. (Seriously.)

Jeff"

"No marine experience with the

"No marine experience with them. Marine aticles that I have read rate them as a very reliable engine. From a road use view, I would always try to spec. Catapillar engines in equipment that I was buying for heavy equipment and fire trucks. Guy"

"Ayuh,......

I Agree with t

"Ayuh,......

I Agree with the above,.....
I've not run into many Cat boat motors,....
But have been around,+ worked on Many Equipment,+ Truck Cats.......
Their Wet Sleeve motors just Can't be Beat,.....
The cast in place bore motors are Great when New,...But are alot less Rebuildable,.....
The 3206s come to mind, aka. the Tomato Can motors.....
Run'm into the Ground,+ Replace'm........"

Back