Logo

Question concerning removal of lower unit on 1965 Evinrude, 65 HP V4

duffer1960

New member
I just checked the gearcase lube in the lower unit of this Evinrude that I just purchased. I unscrewed the oil fill screw, and no oil dripped out. I started backing out the drain screw, and to my horror, saw immediately that there was no o-ring around it. When I backed the drain screw out, pure water drained from the gearcase. My question is, " is there a hidden bolt inside the back half of the midsection housing that requires me to remove it, to allow me to pull the lower unit off ?' I have a 1962 40 hp Evinrude, and I had to unscrew and remove the rear half of the exhaust housing cover because there was a hidden bolt inside that I had to remove to drop the lower unit. Will this model have the hidden bolt too? I see the access plate to get at the nuts for the shift rod to split the shift rod apart....its on the port side of the outboard when standing behind it. But I would like to know if I'll have to remove the rear half of the exhaust cover due to a hidden bolt....Thank you again for any info, greatly appreciate it, Dan
 
What's the model number of that engine? The older V4 65hp did not come into being until 1968.

There is no hidden bold on that V4 model regardless of the year.
 
Back
Top