Logo

question about 9.9 throttle

Toomboat

When I throttle up, it's no problem because the little bolt is up against the metal piece, but when I attempt to throttle down, the little bolt just stays in place while everything else moves back. Am I supposed to glue the little bolt in or tighten the metal clip?

To start with, this is a 9.9 4 stroke - right?

Your linkage is disconnected - looks like someone was fiddling and didn't reconnect things properly.

Here's a diagram (not exactly to point) but shows where all the linkage should be at that end of things.

Attachments

• 8-9.94S - throttle linkage.jpg
    8-9.94S - throttle linkage.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 83
Yes it is a 9.9 4 stroke. I also have a 15 HP 4 stroke, so I know where the linkage should be... but how do I get that little bolt to stay at the end of the linkage?

I think I wiggled it loose when I was fiddling with the throttle. It was seized from sitting, and I had to hit it with some dp oil.

I'm not 100% sure about what little bolt you are talking about. Are you talking about the stud on the throttle cam (round thingy) that the link wire hooks on to?

I've drawn an arrow on the diagram to what I think you are referring to.

If the stud is broken off the cam, then you either need to buy a new one (cam with the stud on it), it's all one piece (Merc part 825787A2 - sells for about 45 bucks) or maybe you can epoxy it back in place.

The stud is not a separate piece that can be taken off/on or adjusted/tightened etc..

Attachments

• 8-9.94S - throttle cam stud.jpg
    8-9.94S - throttle cam stud.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 57
The stud is what I am referring to, but it is still connected to the throttle and turns back and fourth. the problem is, it does not stay in the corner of the linkage. It goes back and fourth through it. Should I gorilla glue it into place or something?

Ok, I see what your staying - it's kinda come dislodged. Yes, you can try some gorilla glue or some 5 minute epoxy. The little cam is a kind of plastic (don't know exactly what), so try a glue that will stick to plastics and you should be fine.

Back