Logo

PUMP BLUE

nicknack2

Regular Contributor
"well here we go, I’m having V

"well here we go, I’m having VRO problems, I bought a used VRO and it will just not pump fuel, I re-built my old VRO and it pumps, but stops pumping like and intermittent problem, well I paid $100 for the used VRO Pump, $91 plus shipping on the Re-built kit on the original pump I had on, and still can get a running pump, I’m thinking on going “electric” with a low pressure pump… Any ideas please giveme some input even something that you guys think I could have done wrong while rebuilding my VRO...and thing about going electric."

"from what ive read those can

"from what ive read those can be tough to get right.

you can plug off the vro and disconnect the alarms but i cant tell you how i forgot to save the thread to my favs. you could run a search and im sure you can find the info that way. most of the advice on this subject is to just buy a new one.

or you could convert to a fuel only pump as in this link
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=213623&highlight=replacing+vro+with+fu el+only

youll have to mix your gas 50:1 using a tcw3 oil ...........if you do away with the vro."

"Thanks David…yeah, I already

"Thanks David…yeah, I already do my own pre-mix... and my pump went bad, I installed a rebuilt kit but it seems like it stops pumping fuel as an intermittent problem as it pumps on and off... that is why I wanted to go electric and just do away with the VRO, as installing a regular(old style) pump would no be enough to supply the required amounts of fuel at WOT, I was wondering about tandem pumps but I could not figure out how to get the pulse to both pumps."

"elect fuel pumps on outboards

"elect fuel pumps on outboards,has the potential,to be very dangerous....u can get a fuel pump only,...for about 350.00..or a full oil/fuel pump for about 400.00
not many pro shops,are rebuilding vro pumps,u can only do the fuel/vacuum side,and alot of warped housing probs...."

"so that could be what happene

"so that could be what happened to mine, I did put a new rebuilt kit on it and pumps and stops on an off...."

"Will do that this afternoon,

"Will do that this afternoon, but I had checked for pulse while cranking the motor before and I can feel a puff/pulsation, I don't know how strong that needs to be (PSIs wise) but can definitely feel the pulsation..."

"there was a 3 nipple strait f

"there was a 3 nipple strait fuel pump available from omc a while back, i dont know if they are still around but thats what i alays replaced the vro with i mat still have one i will look at my shop tomarrow"

"depending on the size of his

"depending on the size of his eng,it could cause a fuel starvation problem...if he has a v6,he will need 2...the vro looking pump,is the way to go,altho,i have rigged many v6's w/the 2 fuel pumps,...they were that way,prior to,84."

"but, how do you manage to hoo

"but, how do you manage to hook up the two in tandem??? if there is only one hose that pulsate from the engine...."

"u have to rig another vacuum

"u have to rig another vacuum line,......and one pump feeds the other....u need to see an 83 intake and crankcase....what eng ARE you wking on?"

"I'm working on a 98 Johns

"I'm working on a 98 Johnson, so it would be like a splitting the crankcase(pulse line) into two??? with a "T" perhaps???, I seen the set up in the old 115 Mercs(70’s), but those pumps are installed directly into the side of the block..."

"man,on a 98, i would go w/th

"man,on a 98, i would go w/the vro looking fuel pump.....u have a vapor sep,and all kinds of S(*^*(^&%^$ in the way..."

"what is this: vapor sep???

"what is this: vapor sep???

200 HP...Johnson...

I just ordered the VRO pump yesterday (5007422) but it just seems interesting how much stuff you can make happen with simpler/less expensive stuff... I think VROs are overpriced items... especially if you only need the fuel side... and especially after throwing away $100 in rebuilt kit to which you have less than a 50/50 change in fixing IMO, with the cheap plastic and the chances of been warp, it just not seems fair.. but oh well that’s boating for you… got to pay the price, but this summer I will get every penny back in terms of fun…."

"But, going back to tandem pum

"But, going back to tandem pumps... how do you do it?? or if choose to go electric what do you do with the pulse hose???"

"man,dont go elect......u woul

"man,dont go elect......u would have to wire,..a hot/kill wire etc...too much trble...i used to race 150's in the 80's and it is a pain in the ass...........but,...can,..be done....
u have to have 2---vacuum soruces,..fr 2,..diff cyls''''if u could just see a 83 150,...u would have it...but your 200,..is way past all that,designed,for the vro.."

"What is the fuel pressure tha

"What is the fuel pressure that a VRO puts out anyways??? the book only states as a VRO being bad if the pump puts out less than 3 psi at ~800 rpms, but does not says any thing about pressure at WOT or any othre rpm range...."

"I installed a new VRO (fu

"I installed a new VRO (fuel only) today, and the motor stays running now (no trip to the lake yet), it is actually pumping fuel, but I noticed that the fuel filter will not stay full...., I pumped the primer before starting the motor, and got the fuel filter almost full with the exemption of a little "air bubble" but then it seems that as the motor runs, the fuel level on the filter drops, but you can see fuel coming in refilling it, but does not fully filling the filter… is this normal??"

its just trapped in the filter

its just trapped in the filter..u can purge it if u want...but will prob end up there again as a void...UNLESS u r sucking air somewhere.

"well, I'm headed to the l

"well, I'm headed to the lake is been a month since I had this motor installed it has been nothing but a nightmare so hopefully today will be the day, I have spent over $6000 bucks since November so I hope today is the end of the curse.."

"Total failure can’t get it ov

"Total failure can’t get it over 2200 RPMs, this is what the new pump looks like:

url]

url]

Well after installing the new pump P# 5007422 I realized that it is missing the oil part of the pump... I know this is a fuel only pump, so I figure I should install it w/o any regard of the oil parts/side of the pump as in the old pump the oil side is plugged any ways(due to pre-mix and to avoid sucking air) so I’m confused... should I install my old oil side of the pump on my new pump so I can just plug it or is this pump comes internally plugged and w/o the oil side????

very very very frustrated nicknack2…. it was nice to roll in the water at 2200 rpms (better than nothing) but it would be much nicer to plane at ~56000 rpms.... please some help, input…"

Back