Logo

Proper Drive Parts for 275 series

djhinca

My 1986 Bayliner is equipped with an AQ131 engine and 275D drive. I am in the process of removing the transmission in order to service the U-joint assembly, the steering yoke bushings and possibly the primary drive shaft bearing and seals, if needed. My question: I have found separate parts listings for the 275 and 275A drives, but no specific listings for the later 275 series (B - D..). Can I assume that the parts for 275A are interchangeable with the 275D series? I intend to order at least: 1) O ring between the upper gear case and intermediate case; 2) steering yoke bushings and seal. I may also need new shims between the gear case and intermediate case. Thanks for any insights.

My 1986 Bayliner is equipped with an AQ131 engine and 275D drive.
The "D" typically indicates the final drive reduction. In your case, the AQ 131 engine requires the 2.15:1 reduction, indicated by the "D" in the serial number.

I am in the process of removing the transmission in order to service the U-joint assembly, the steering yoke bushings and possibly the primary drive shaft bearing and seals, if needed.
My question: I have found separate parts listings for the 275 and 275A drives, but no specific listings for the later 275 series (B - D..).
The alpha characters B, C and D indicate the final reduction. With exception to the E transmission, the reduction change occurs within the lower gear unit!
B= V-8 or 1.61:1 over-all reduction
C= 6 cylinder or 1.89:1 over-all reduction
D= 4 cylinder or 2.15:1 over-all reduction

Can I assume that the parts for 275A are interchangeable with the 275D series?
The 275A transmission uses the integral aluminum clamping ring/bearing box. In other words, the clamping ring and bearing box are one unit.
The 275 transmission uses a separate aluminum clamping ring with a separate steel bearing box.
Those parts will NOT interchange between transmissions.

I intend to order at least: 1) O ring between the upper gear case and intermediate case;
Yes..... there will be two (2).
One oil drain back tube O-ring, and one large bearing retainer O-ring.
These will be the same p/n between the 275 and 275A drive models.

2) steering yoke bushings and seal.
The two plastic collar steering fork bushings and the V-ring seal will be the same for the 275 and 275A. (not the same for the 270)

I may also need new shims between the gear case and intermediate case.
If you are re-installing the same transmission, and if the shims were correct to begin with, there will be no need to change the shims.
However, if you are installing a different transmission, you will need to go through the shimming procedure.

In either event, the new bearing crosses can be a Spicer 5-1306X.
The AQ series drive shaft bellows will all interchange. VP p/n 875826-0, 876294-0 or Sierra p/n 18-2744
Your PDS bearing will be an industry standard 6206...... about $14 from a good bearing supplier. Since there is no good way to test it's condition, I would replace it!
The AFT seal will be a 35X62X7mm in a TCM or Timken single lip..... about $7 from a good bearing supplier.
(make sure that the AFT seal is installed in the "non-conventional" direction) The FWD seal may be smaller, and it may be difficult to remove with the engine installed.
The two small O-rings for the dip stick and drain plug are the same p/n.

I would suggest installing the the drain plug with a hand held impact driver and a large straight blade tip. Give it just a few mild blows with your hammer.

Last edited:
Aha!! Thanks Rick - as soon as I read the first part of your detailed response post, I remembered reading the same information regarding the A-D designations in one of your prior posts. I'll be ordering parts for the 275.

NOTES and Suggestions:

Wrap a small piece of rubber over one of the grease ports on the collar steering fork, and clamp it.
Pump grease into the grease fitting until it purges the old stiff grease out.
Do the same to the other port.

When you receive the collar steering fork bushings, they may have an anti-rotation nubs on them. The nubs drop into a notch within the receiving ears as to prevent rotation.
Your receiving ears may not accommodate the notches.
If that is the case, simply carve or file the nubs away.
Be sure to set them in epoxy and install the fork immediately.

Also be sure to glue the V-ring seal in place on the fork shaft area, and grease the upper lip area.

Make sure that the grade #8 pinch bolt is of the correct length.

You may also want to increase the length of the pinch slot.
Often they are too short and will prevent the pinch bolt from squeezing down enough on the collar steering fork shaft.
If the slot is increased some, the bolt will be given a better leverage advantage.

NOTE: Volvo Penta makes no mention of this as a problem nor as a fix...... but I can tell you that it works, and it will not compromise any integrity.

Last edited:
Thanks #2 Rick: a few final questions: the service manual indicates that "Volvo Penta part no. 1161053-2, locking
fluid:" should be used when reinstalling the bolt that secures the u-joint assembly to the bearing box (55 ft/lb. torque) and between the mating surfaces of the upper gear case and intermediate case. Do you have a recommendation for an alternative material in the Permatex line, etc.??

Back